Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand Held Electric Planer Disaster

I guess, I'm just admitting that I have no desire to learn it.
    +1 - I'm sure they have a value - but - IMHO, I consider the power hand plane in the same catagory as the drum floor sander. Great tool - once mastered. Disaster at the end of a cord for the unsuspecting.
    In my case, the cord got snagged on the edge of the piece I was working on. I'd learned that the only way to use it was to run it semi-quickly across the surface in one smooth movement. When the cord snagged, it skewed the planer off to one side & drew a nice deep furrow right across the face of the surface.
    Scratch one project and toss it on the burn pile.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Doug,
    Which model Makita planer do you have? Could you please post a few photos of the accessory "shoe""?
    Makita KP0810. It also allows you to do rabbeting, but I've never tried that with this machine (that's what the router table is for.)

BTW, I'm an ordained minister. My religion does not allow me to post pictures on the Internet. It's an Orthodox thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    I attempted to use a hand held electric planer to flatten a wide panel. (I'm still on #5 of 6). My Jack hand plane is out of commission and I'm out of time.
    Purchased an hand held electric. Have never used one before, but it was pretty disastrous. It removes a nice strip of material, but how in the heck do you flatten with it? I ended up with a horrible stair stepped mess.

I put it back in the box and spent the last few hours trying to salvage it with my #8 Jointer handplane set for an aggressive cut. Not going well. Hopefully I'm not looking at a "do-over".

Attachment 412972
    Same for me. That is why I sold my hand held power planer
    Dennis