Thread: Don't know

Don't know

I really don't know what to do with this burls. All I know is the small one appears to be Douglas Fir. the other 2 may be Pine I am guessing because there seems to be some pitch on the outside of one of them. I'd like to turn them but have no idea if I should cut them up for hollow forms, core what I can, or try to turn large bowls or something else. They seem quite dry, I've had them undercover for several years. There are some small cracks on the cut sides but they don't worry me at all. Anyone care to make a suggestion?
    Thanks in advance.
    ?IMG_8703.jpgIMG_8704.jpgIMG_8701.jpgIMG_8702.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Ok, I thought it was worth a shot only because no one on Facebook would comment either . . . thanks anyway.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Ok, I'll toss in my worthless $0.02. Mount it on the lathe and start turning. Perhaps it will come to you what it wants to become. Everything you turn starts as a cylinder. Rough it out and see what you get. That may help see something. It always helps me. Sometimes the shape of grain, voids if any, sap/heartwood determines what you turn.

This is how I like to turn. Going in with a plan takes most of the fun away for me. If that doesn't do it for you, go ahead and send them my way

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Ok, I'll toss in my worthless $0.02. Mount it on the lathe and start turning. Perhaps it will come to you what it wants to become. Everything you turn starts as a cylinder. Rough it out and see what you get. That may help see something. It always helps me. Sometimes the shape of grain, voids if any, sap/heartwood determines what you turn.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the comments. The two bigger pieces are either too big or too unbalanced for me to put straight onto the lathe as is. I think I will try a natural edge with the smaller one. Much appreciated!