Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chuck reversing adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    So Alex, I am picturing a segmented ring that is already glued to the base of a bowl, and you want to flatten it before adding the next ring. When I want to do this, I use a flat board perhaps 3/4 inch thick, 3 inches wide, and at least as long as the diameter of the ring. Sandpaper is glued to the face. I true up the ring as best as I can with tools, and then hold the board onto the ring to sand it flat. It is not too hard to get a perfectly flat ring. This method cannot guarantee that the flat surface is square to the spindle axis but it is awfully close, I have never noticed any "un-squareness". This just seems to be a lot easier than the big sanding disk you are going for.
    I haven't done any segmented bowls yet but that's sort of what I'm doing now in some cases for things like the bottom of a warped bowl. I'm using a piece of HDF plywood with some 120 grit paper stuck to it. My plan is to make a 20" disc sander that has the ability to hold the bowl or ring parallel to the platen. But also to make a table that I can put a T-slot into that can be mounted on the bed. I have an Incra 1000HD miter gauge so maybe it will be possible to use the table to fine tune the angle on the individual pieces for a segmented ring? I'm also hoping that I can make a way for my dust collector to suck up as much sawdust as possible.

That's another rant, lol. Does anyone make a dust collector for a lathe that has the exit hose going down vs out the back. My lathe is close to a cement wall and most of what I've seen on stands has the pipe mount to the back. Right now I'm using a homemade one (a register duct).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    ...Does anyone make a dust collector for a lathe that has the exit hose going down vs out the back. My lathe is close to a cement wall and most of what I've seen on stands has the pipe mount to the back. Right now I'm using a homemade one...
    I don't use a stand. I mounted a "mini gulp" nozzle on a magnetic based dial indicator arm for positioning it. There is enough adjustment without moving the magnet for nearly everything I turn. There is plenty of room for the 4" hose to go back and then up. The PM3520b is about as close to the wall as it can get.

holder.jpg lathe_dust_pickup.jpg

The hose on mine goes up but could have easily gone down. It wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a custom nozzle out of plastic, sheet metal, or thin plywood with the hose flange pointing straight down.

You could also make something that fits in the gap between the ways with a hose that goes straight down.

JKJ

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    So you want a flat plate on your tailstock? Does it need to spin freely? It so happens that I picked up a couple of 12-inch Shopsmith sanding disks. mounted them on a Morse taper, and use that all the time on my power head to sand bowl bottoms flat. But I've also been known to place it in the tailstock when I want to be sure that a re-mounted bowl sets perfectly flat.
    Russell Neyman.

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Past President, Olympic Peninsula Woodturners
    West Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have two 20" aluminum discs coming that I will mount to face plates. I ended up going with 1/4" aluminum discs and ordered some cloth backed Klingspor 20" PSA sanding pads (120 and 220 grit). I figured I would want to unpeal the discs to switch grits. I have an old table saw given to me for parts. I'm going to cut the top in half to make a table for sanding. Once I get everything set I can post some pictures.