Thread: Jasper stones

Jasper stones

I have just recently heard that jasper stones apparently are a good sharpening media both for grinding and final honing. Aparently they should be on level with hard Arkansas and some japanese wet stones. Ofcourse you read all sorts of nonsens on the internet, so I thought I would ask here if anybody has experiense with these stones?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    I have just recently heard that jasper stones apparently are a good sharpening media both for grinding and final honing. Aparently they should be on level with hard Arkansas and some japanese wet stones. Ofcourse you read all sorts of nonsens on the internet, so I thought I would ask here if anybody has experiense with these stones?
    David Weaver mentioned these in the past.

My jasper stones leave a finish about like my black Arkansas stone. It used to be used occasionally after a translucent Arkansas.

In my opinion, unless one wants to spend a couple months on a stone, the jasper stone is not useful for grinding. It is great for a final polishing stone.

Since acquiring a black Arkansas stone from Dan's Whetstones my jasper stones have been waiting in the wings.

Both of my jasper stones came from lapidary supply vendors. Look for gem and mineral suppliers or jewelry makers supplies if you want to try one. Mine were only about $5 apiece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. would you be interested to sell them to me ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Thanks Jim. would you be interested to sell them to me ?
    Not really, one of them was given to me by my wife and she would likely want it back. The other may still be useful for me.

Besides, the shipping would likely be more than what the stone should cost. There must be gem and mineral collectors in Denmark. Find one of them and you can likely find a scrap cut off for next to nothing.

Gem & Mineral Calendar.png

There are at least two large gatherings scheduled in 2019. You may be able to find a supplier even closer to home.

My green honing compound comes from a lapidary supplier. They also use a few tools common to woodworking.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-21-2019 at 3:28 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ok thanks 🙂