Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review of the NE PLUS ULTRA dovetail saw mfg. by the Elysium Saw Works (Pete Taran)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I understand Tony, but look at the difference between the L-N handle in Phil's picture vs the one in Derek's. Mine is like Derek's handle and of high quality workmanship.
    Dave: a few pics of the LN IT saw, the LN rosewood handle, and a LN apple handle. All about the same, and I've always found them to be comfortable and a good fit (I was a 40 regular in a suit for a long time [sadly no longer] so I am the "average" sized sawyer).

fullsizeoutput_93.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Stewie: This comment was also made when I first posted this review on another forum. I will re-tweet my response:

"When you really understand the rules of woodworking, you know when these rules can be broken. I think it was Chris Schwartz that said you should hold the handle of a dovetail saw as if you were holding a baby bird. I take that a step further: I hold a DT saw as if I were holding a baby bird with osteoporosis. I suspect that my grandchildren will be able to use this saw (assuming I ever have grandchildren). If you are a ham-fisted DT sawyer, then perhaps this handle is not for you. There are a number of other handles available that follow the basic rules and will no doubt fit the bill."

45E36428-F4DE-4EBF-86E5-0D9FB54834C2.jpeg

Like this little guy? Heeheehee! More like my current saw.

Thanks for the review Phil. I’d love to have that saw Pete. Hope you’re still making them in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis Johnson View Post
    45E36428-F4DE-4EBF-86E5-0D9FB54834C2.jpeg

Like this little guy? Heeheehee! More like my current saw.

Thanks for the review Phil. I’d love to have that saw Pete. Hope you’re still making them in a few years.
    Kurtis: Beautiful! Whenever you pick up your DT saw, think of this guy: your sawing will be better for it! Phil

]Dave: a few pics of the LN IT saw, the LN rosewood handle, and a LN apple handle. All about the same, and I've always found them to be comfortable and a good fit (I was a 40 regular in a suit for a long time [sadly no longer] so I am the "average" sized sawyer).
    fullsizeoutput_93.jpg

For those wanting to learn how to make their own backsaws, take note of the grain direction running through the neck of those 3 open handles.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-21-2019 at 8:10 PM.

And for those who prefer to operate in the world of theoretical woodworking, rather than what works, should follow our esteemed colleague Stewart's advice.

Pete; its concerning that others outside the inner circle of influence have not found the courage to voice an opinion.

Stewie;

Stewart,

More likely most see it for what it is. The saws I’ve made are legion and are in use around the globe. Your critical musings can’t change that, ergo, no one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Stewart,

More likely most see it for what it is. The saws I’ve made are legion and are in use around the globe. Your critical musings can’t change that, ergo, no one cares.
    Legion? as in numerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Pete; its concerning that others outside the inner circle of influence have not found the courage to voice an opinion.

Stewie;
    This is from the outer circle of influence. It takes no courage to voice an opinion. Just a functional mouth (or a keyboard and a web connection in this case). In the time I've been a participant in the forum I've enjoyed many of your posts. Those on wooden planes and the restoration process have been especially interesting. Clearly you have skills and experience. Regrettably, many threads that feature your comments descend into a pit of mire. This is not so much from your lack of insight, but from a total absence of tact. You raise good points but do so poorly. As my late mother used to tell me: "please sweeten your disposition".

No disrespect intended.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Grain direction aside, I’d be a very happy man if I could own saws hand made by Stewie and Pete. Both are absolute works of art.

Yes Phil they are...hate to see this diversion into different opinions on different approaches...Respect for each other is important.

Blog Entries
    I made new handles for my saws. They are exactly what I want.
    We are woodworkers, my saws are exactly what I want.