Thread: aqua coat grain filler

aqua coat grain filler

hi all - i am just finishing up a table with a claro walnut veneer for the top - home cut veneer so thicker than store bought. i have always use an oil based grain filler - usually tinted with dark walnut stain - which is typically messy, has a pretty toxic smell, and takes quite awhile to dry.
    the finish guy at the yard talked to me about Aqua Coat - water based gel filler - totally clear (but it also can be tinted) - easier clean up and faster drying.
    smaller test pieces seem to come out nice -
    my plan is to seal the veneer with a 1# wash coat of shellac - seal it - apply 3 or 4 coats of 2#shellac - and then some lacquer
    wondering if anyone has had experience with this product on a larger piece.
    thanks in advance and appreciate any info
    jerry
    jerry

I tried Aqua Coat a couple of times. I did not like it at all. Isn’t really clear and takes for ever to actually fill pores. It’s like when it dries it also evaporates out of the pores? I use epoxy for pore filling prior to lacquer.

I don’t have experience with Aqua Coat, but for water based filler you might want to try either Wunderfill or Timbermate, both come in a walnut tone. Keep in mind you may need several applications. Your plan to seal with 1lb shellac, then fill, then shellac, then topcoat works for me.

I've used AquaCoat on a couple of passage doors made with white ash. It was easy to use for the most part. The only issue I noticed was it had a tendency to leave ghost marks on the non-pored areas unless you sanded really well after it had dried. Pre-sealing as you plan to do would likely prevent that from happening. Also, generally, I had to apply two coats to completely fill the pores.

John

thanks john - i was planning on 2 coats - kinda the same with the oil based filler
    jerry
    jerry