Thread: Domino - Inset Aprons from Legs

Domino - Inset Aprons from Legs

I've used my Festool Domino to join several frame and panel joints, large panels, door frames, etc. All had the pieces co-planer/flush with each other on the face side. For tables, I have always liked to inset the aprons slightly back from the legs to give that extra shadow line. I just think it looks nicer.

With the Domino, that obviously means I need the cutter to be slightly closer to the face of the aprons versus the legs. For 3/4" material, I use the 20mm stop for the fence. I know I could just freely set it closer, but does anyone have a good repeatable way to do that? Maybe a setup block?

Thanks Jason

Make a 2.5mm shim that you can put between the depth stop and the fence pin that contacts the stop

If the apron will be flush with the leg on the "inside" (back side), reference off that instead of the front/out sides.

You are, though, admitting you're trying to intentionally misalign them, so don't feel too compelled to avoid just changing the fence setting.

I watched a video on YouTube last night and he just adjusted the depth manually using the scale. I think I was trying to make it too complicated. I'm milling out the aprons today and should have enough scrap to test with when I'm done. I'm making two tables out of Rainbow Poplar for a charity auction.

Just set the stop for 20mm for the aprons and deeper for the legs- 2mm difference on the stop gives 1mm offset.

That's what I ended up doing. I went to 13mm for the legs on the scale. I got the front and rears glued up last night and it looks great.

I got an email from Fine woodworking today with a link to a video about how to do reveals with the Domino. I haven't looked at it but thought I'd pass along the link.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.