Thread: Face App Out to Steal Your Data?

Blog Entries

Face App Out to Steal Your Data?

A few stories in the news about a popular app to age a person's looks might be spy ware.

Not sure if the jury is in, but you can consult Dr. Google or Mr. Bing for more information.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A few stories in the news about a popular app to age a person's looks might be spy ware.

Not sure if the jury is in, but you can consult Dr. Google or Mr. Bing for more information.
    The data they're mainly talking about is your face. Facial recognition and face databases are a really big thing right now. Don't disclose your location. Wear a mask when you go outside. Hide from the government.

3. Wait...There are people who are DELIBERATELY using apps to look older? How is this a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    Wait...There are people who are DELIBERATELY using apps to look older? How is this a thing?
    It makes it easier to buy beer.

I heard that with the app it can download all the pictures you have on your phone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I heard that with the app it can download all the pictures you have on your phone
    It can't. The code has been studied & shown that it doesn't do that. I just listened to a news feature on CBC dealing with this app.

You have to give permission to access your picture. It then becomes their property also who examined the code.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    You have to give permission to access your picture. It then becomes their property also who examined the code.
    I didn't catch who examined the code, but CBC is a pretty reliable source. Their licensing agreement is about the same as any site that you upload images to; they basically own the image, or at least the rights to use it as they please with no compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    Never gotten anything useful from Mr Bing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Never gotten anything useful from Mr Bing
    Neither has it ever helped me. Somehow though it seems there are a lot of folks who love it.

Maybe it is because they like all the cute cuddly kitty videos they get when searching for information on house painting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)