Thread: Kudos to Homestead Finishing CS

Kudos to Homestead Finishing CS

I've been using a Qualspray AM-6008 spray gun from Homestead Finishing as my primary gun for the past 3 or 4 years. I've sprayed well over 50 gals of mostly WB products through it. About a year ago I noticed an air leak at the front packing nut, so I replaced the Viton packing and all was well again. Then I got a leak at the trigger, changed one of those packings and it was OK again. A few weeks ago both were leaking again, so I ordered a rebuild kit from Homestead Finishing. I ended up replacing essentially every packing and O-ring associated with the needle and still had leaks. Some were so bad I could hear and feel them, but the one at the needle adjustment knob was evident only when I put the gun in a bucket of water.

Along the way I contacted Jeff Jewitt via E-mail. After replacing all the seals and still having leaks Jeff said to send him the gun, which I did. A few days later I got an Email from Jeff saying he had transferred the N/N and air cap from my gun into a new gun body and shipped it back to me. He asked for no money. As generous as that was it didn't seem right since I had used the gun for at least 3 years. So I contacted Jeff again and after another exchange of Emails we agreed on $100. While it's disappointing the original gun body couldn't be salvaged with a rebuild kit, I was impressed by Jeff standing behind his product well after any warranty had expired.

John

PS: I checked the "new" gun for leaks. Zero.

Jeff is a stand-up guy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One of the differences between a high-end gun, and the cheaper ones is longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    One of the differences between a high-end gun, and the cheaper ones is longevity.
    Yes, I remember an Iwata gun reviewer on YouTube, I think maybe you posted the link here awhile back, saying that. I'm sure that's correct. Curiously, however, I've never had any problems with my really cheap Tool Force or whatever they are called gravity feed HVLP guns as far as air leaks, and I've sprayed lots of gallons through a couple of them. But I am seriously considering and Iwata or similar if/when I buy a new gun. Another thing I'll be looking for is no plastic gasket seal in the air cap. There is one in the Qualspray gun air cap and over time it can develop a burr from being removed/installed, which then makes it hard to seat tightly, creating another leak.

John

Don't leave Devilbiss out of you looking at new guns. Beware of counterfeits though. Amazon is selling one called a Devilbes. Any time I drop by my friend's place that does hot rods, he's using a Devilbiss gun, even though he buys any new one that comes out, and probably owns one of each. He lets me play with them, and any of them do really nicely, but I do get on well with that Devilbiss that he's always using.