Thread: Storing Waterlox Finish

Storing Waterlox Finish

I like using Waterlox but I've had problems storing the product because any air trapped in the container will cause the product to cure.

Waterlox suggests using another product (Bloxygen) which is primarily argon gas. I've tried this with mixed results and I'd prefer to find another approach that didn't require the purchase of another product which I may not always have on hand.

I recently read a post on another site recommending storing Waterlox in glass container and pouring water on top to fill. This removed all (most) of the oxygen from the container. Since Waterlox and water don't mix. The water settles to the bottom with the Waterlox on top and available for brush or pad.

If it works, this seems like a nice, passive and convenient approach.

Has anyone tried this successfully?

Thanks,

Scott C.

Scott, can’t comment on the water idea. I’ve used Bloxygen with success, but it’s expensive, and as you said kind of a pain to have to keep around. I recently bought Stop Loss Bags and the funnel based on others here having positive experience. So far, so good. They are inexpensive and along with the funnel aren’t too difficult to use.

Thank you, Phil.

That seems like a good solution. Do the nozzles of the stop loss bags clog or how do you prevent the nozzles from clogging?

Are the bags reusable?

Thanks, again for your suggestion.

Scott C.

FYI ... I bought some of the bags and funnel. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Scott C.

I recently opened 2 cans of Waterlox (gloss and satin) that I last used in 2015 and stored with Bloxygen. Both showed no signs of aging. No resins in the bottom, no film on top. Like new.

I, too, based upon a previous suggestion bought the stop loss bags and have been pleased with results. No degradation. After pouring if I don’t carefully wipe the spout I need a pair of small channel locks and a hold back wrench to get the cap off.

Thank you, Jack.

I believe I saw somewhere that the Stop Loss folks recommend putting a little wax on the threads of the spout to keep it from sticking.

Thanks, Phil.

Seems like a simple and effective idea. Paste wax and / or toilet bowl wax has a lot of uses in the shop.

For what it's worth ... I also had success using my shop vac to suck the air out of the glass jar I used to store my Waterlox. It worked but it seemed too kludgy so I'm switching to the Stop Loss Bags. Seems more professional!

Thanks again for your replies.

Scott C.

A much cheaper in handy or fix is to just use a plastic water bottle. Make sure it is dried out fill it as much as possible and squeeze the air out. I’ve stored waterlox for 10 years using this method. A 2 L bottle works for larger quantities.

Dan

Excellent idea. Practical and cheap, too.

Thanks.

Scott C

Plastic water bottles. Why did I never think of this? Now I don't have to feel guilty about drinking as much seltzer as I do!

For those that are using the stop loss bags, have you tried to wash them out and reuse them? Given how they’re plastic, I’d hate to use them as a consumable/disposable product, but the opening is very tiny meaning the only way to clean it is to just shake some solvent/water around inside without being able to wipe or scrub which worries me. I have a pack I got from woodcraft but I’ve been hesitant to put anything in them yet.

Yes, the stop loss bags are reusable. If there are no solids in the container, you may not need to rinse between fillings with the same product. It is probably safer to rinse a couple of times with a proper solvent, though.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!