Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most expensive tool...

The Milwaukee cordless drill (20V w/ metal chuck) was pretty expensive by my standards but I use it all the time. I think over $200 by the time I bought some extra batteries. Have a HF hammer drill, regular drill, jigsaw, and bunch of hand tools as well. They are cheap but I rarely need them and they work sufficiently when I do. So, my mentality is, "If you use it every day, buy the best. Otherwise, buy what you need to get by".

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I know all y'all are a bunch of enablers, but what about the tool you probably should buy because you probably will use it a lot, but it is kind of expensive and you can limp long without it a little bit longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I know all y'all are a bunch of enablers, but what about the tool you probably should buy because you probably will use it a lot, but it is kind of expensive and you can limp long without it a little bit longer...
    That sounds like Festool's business model...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    You mean the Domino?

How about the tool you have needed, and could have used all your life, but never bought because it was too expensive....and you wait till you are 75 and then buy it.

Don't ask.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    How about the tool you have needed, and could have used all your life, but never bought because it was too expensive....and you wait till you are 75 and then buy it.

Don't ask.
    At 75, you're entitled. Good for you.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Sorry Rick ,just need to know what was it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You mean the Domino?
    I was kinda trying to talk myself into talking my wife into letting me drop $200 on a Barr fatboy framing slick.

But I have been paying real close attention to my process the last few days and what I really "need" is a pair of Crucible holdfasts- and a pretty heavy sawhorse with some holdfast holes in it. I can pare just fine with my 1.5" Barr chisel as long as the stick I am working on holds still.

Son number one is planning to take a blacksmith course this fall, I already asked for a pair of log dogs. I might could benefit from a swan neck here quick by quick too.

Thanks for listening. I still _want_ a slick, have for a long time, but upgrading my sawhorses and holdfasts will make a bigger difference for me just now.

I bought myself a tig welder here for 700 bucks , a Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter. It's a lot of money for me. I bought it to make the bottom of the car. Now I don't even know if I need it. I hope that I not for good reason spent so much money on this welding. In any case, I am very pleased with it