Thread: DC Closet and noise level observations

DC Closet and noise level observations

Recently upgraded to a cyclone and built a closet for it. I thought I'd pass along a few observations. I built it more or less along the lines of construction that many have discussed here. Walls are 2x4. Inside on walls is 5/8 sheetrock since I had some left over taking up space. Doors are shop made 2x4 also, skinned inside and out with 1/2 osb. Outside of the walls are 1/2 OSB also. Walls and doors are filled with Rockwool Quiet Batts. Return air is through the ceiling joist spaces, which I also lined with Rockwool. I had intended to baffle the return air area and also weatherstrip the doors, but when I fired it up it was more than quiet enough for me. Sure, you can hear it from in the shop, but the sound of the air rushing through an open blast gate is way louder than the drone from the DC itself. You can barely hear the DC if you are in the rec room outside the shop or in the bedroom above it. I have no trouble having a normal level conversation when standing next to the closet.

The last picture shows my shop made drum roller. I thought the Oneida version was overpriced, especially since you have to add the leg extensions to use it. I took a scrap of plywood and added some $10 low profile appliance rollers under it. It fits without blocking up the legs more than the 1/2" rubber isolation pads. It only rolls in one direction, but that actually makes it easier to get the drum lined back up after emptying. I'm thinking of adding 4 extension springs from the drum lid to the frame cross members so when the drum clamp is released the lid is lifted slightly by the springs. Then the drum could be rolled out without fussing with holding the lid out of the way.

DC-closet-1.jpg

DC-closet-2.jpg

DC-closet-3.jpg

DC-closet-4.jpg

Nice work! Wish I had room for walls around my DC...

I recently bought a 5HP Grizzly G0442 and after much deliberation I decided to build an exterior DC room for it which I'm in the process of constructing. This will allow me to raise the cyclone up to the right height to get a main trunk down the center of the shop just below the ceiling. Progress is slow but I hope to get a roof on and it dried in this coming weekend.
    latest.jpg

Looking good; I would have liked to put it outside, but in my case it would have made the runs a lot longer and would have taken me a lot longer. Plus, the SAF (spouse acceptance factor) would have been an issue :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Looking good; I would have liked to put it outside, but in my case it would have made the runs a lot longer and would have taken me a lot longer. Plus, the SAF (spouse acceptance factor) would have been an issue :-)
    In my case I really didn't have a good place to put the cyclone that wouldn't require some convoluted piping solution that would reduce the efficiency to get the trunk up close to the ceiling. But SAF wasn't a consideration in my decision. LOML is very supportive of my WW hobby. She's a Potter and I spent a lot of time building her Studio and Kiln room before ever tackling building me a workshop. Here is my plan. I now have all the Stationary tools shown except the osculating belt sander. That's on my list for acquisition next year. I plan to spend some serious quality time in the shop when I retire in 5 years. this shop is a multi year labor of love constructing and outfitting. I moved across several states about 6 years ago giving up my old shop most of my stationary tools. It took four years before I could break ground and start replacing things.
    DCPlan.jpg

i really like the idea of the springs to support the lid while emptying the barrel. Thank you

This looks real good, Paul.
    I like that you've got enough space in the closet to get in and access the filter.
    What is the exterior dimension of the closet?

Also, what are the pads you used for isolation? is that just on the feet, or something between the stand and cone?

Matt

Thanks Matt.

External dimensions are 41.5 deep, 64.5 wide, and 92.5 to underside of joists.

The pads are from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't really know if they help minimize noise since I didn't try running it without them, but I figured they couldn't hurt.

I didn't add anything between the cone and the stand. It would be hard to do so on this model because the cone is bolted to the stand with 8 or 10 bolts.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 07-17-2019 at 9:46 PM.

Paul
    I am unable to see your pics, and am literally putting DC closet walls up tomorrow. Any chance you could email them to me please???
    thanks so much!!

Last edited by Dave Burson; 07-21-2019 at 1:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burson View Post
    Paul
    I am unable to see your pics, and am literally putting DC closet walls up tomorrow. Any chance you could email them to me please??? flydjb@yahoo.com
    thanks so much!!

You need to pay the $6/year to become a contributor in order to view pictures. And you might want to remove your email address as spambots will pick it up & flood you with all kinds of wonderful offers

ok thanks. I'll join again (didn't realize, sorry)
    I deleted the the email address, but it is on the reply with quote of your email, could you delete it please. My fault, didn't think about that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burson View Post
    ok thanks. I'll join again (didn't realize, sorry)
    I deleted the the email address, but it is on the reply with quote of your email, could you delete it please. My fault, didn't think about that
    Haha. Sorry about that. Done.