Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Forum?

Mike, the problem is there are lots of ways to sharpen. Jim touched on this above. For your post, tell us what you are trying to sharpen, and also what sharpening gear you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I've got a couple of sharpening questions, not trying to highjack Joe's thread but I bet a lof of us newbie sharpeners have the same set of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Mike, the problem is there are lots of ways to sharpen. Jim touched on this above. For your post, tell us what you are trying to sharpen, and also what sharpening gear you already have.
    Right now my overriding need is to learn how to sharpen plane irons followed closely by chisels.

Lots of folks can help.

Unless you want people helping you spend your money (i.e. recommending you buy new stuff you may or may not need), please tell us what you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Lots of folks can help.

Unless you want people helping you spend your money (i.e. recommending you buy new stuff you may or may not need), please tell us what you already have.
    Nicholas,
    That is going to highjack Joe's thread. I'll start another thread specifically detailing what I've got and how do I make use of that to get sharp plane irons and chisels. Thank you for your willingness to help! I'll try to get that thread posted today. Got to clear out some space to take pics of what I already have.

Thanks!
    Mike

The trouble with sharpening threads is that the vast majority of sharpeners are disillusioned to the point that they believe they can get an edge sharp. In reality, my method is, of course, the only one that really works.

Right now my overriding need is to learn how to sharpen plane irons followed closely by chisels.

Do you already have something that you can use to sharpen? Stones, honing guide, sand paper, etc?

I started with a simple honing guide, sand paper, and a flat piece of granite. I have lots more stuff now!

I mean, let me tell you the one and only correct way!

So, give us an idea of how much help you need to get started. I have had lots of people over to my place to show them how I do it.....

I've got a couple of sharpening questions, not trying to highjack Joe's thread but I bet a lof of us newbie sharpeners have the same set of questions.

What are some good recommendations for books, videos, etc to learn how to sharpen plane irons and chisels?
    Ron Hock's book.

(Leonard Lee's book is more general, but less specific.)

I agree with Doug-when it comes to book resources on sharpening, Ron Hock and Leonard Lee is about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A sharpening forum would need sub forums:

Hand sharpening

Water stones sharpening

Oilstone sharpening

Diamond plate sharpening

Then we would likely end up with forums about sharpening a pocket knife versus sharpening a scythe.

Sharpening saws and the optimum point count for every job.

Then there is the powered sharpening questions over low speed versus high speed.

Flat disk versus wheel sharpening.

So Joe, if you have a question about sharpening, ask it. Then stand back and be ready for the barrage.

jtk
    There lies the problem with a separate "Sharpening Forum".
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Kinda like "what's the best kind of oil?" on a motorcycle forum.
    Mobil 1. Or is it Shell Rotella. I forget

I disagree that a new forum on sharpening would require additional sub-forums. I've heard similar comments on other discussion boards when a new category is requested. In my case, the need for nested categories never occured and the discussions flowed nicely.

If enough members are asking for this, why not give it a try and see how it goes? A dedicated forum for all sharpening discussions could be seeded with selected discussions from other areas to get things started. If it doesn't work out, then dump the threads in to the Neanderthal Haven forum.

There is a wealth of all kinds of information on sharpening already in this forum. Using the search function should bring up a years worth of reading, if you can manage to wade through all the chest thumping fairly quickly. Any new thread, that asks the same thing that's already been asked hundreds of times, still manages to bring in the chest thumpers, so I'm not sure what the advantage of a new forum would be.

Try asking a question in the search box, and see what comes up as answers to the same question.

I would support a sharpening forum. That way all those disruptive and boring discussions can be hidden away I may dip in occasionally, but only to make sure that everyone is still alive.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Doug, Greg,

Would those books be - The Perfect Edge, The Ultimate Guide to Sharpening For Woodworkers by Ron Hock and The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee?

Thanks!
    Mike

Doug, Greg,

Would those books be - The Perfect Edge, The Ultimate Guide to Sharpening For Woodworkers by Ron Hock and The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee?
    Yes. Yes they are.