Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharpening Forum?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Really, you want to share sharpening threads with the Turners, CNC Operators, General Woodworkers, etc?
    One sharpening forum for all?
    This made me think of Lord of the Rings. One forum to spin them, one to power them on, one forum to shape them and one to hone them all...

Sharpening is a real conversation starter. With an Original Post essentially about starting a forum on what may be the most perplexing aspect to many woodworkers. Now we have already reached 30 replies. While the OP has yet to ask what first led him to inquire about the hornet's nest of sharpening.

Maybe a good sharpening thread would help me get back to sleep.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This made me think of Lord of the Rings. One forum to spin them, one to power them on, one forum to shape them and one to hone them all...

Sharpening is a real conversation starter. With an Original Post essentially about starting a forum on what may be the most perplexing aspect to many woodworkers. Now we have already reached 30 replies. While the OP has yet to ask what first led him to inquire about the hornet's nest of sharpening.

Maybe a good sharpening thread would help me get back to sleep.

jtk
    Jim,

How bout a good start?

How many stones do I need to sharpen a chisel? Or maybe, how can I tell when I've finished on my course stone? Then there's, what grit do I need to polish and when do I use it? Those three should put you back to sleep.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

How bout a good start?

[edited and extended]

Those three should put you back to sleep.

ken
    How many stones do I need to sharpen a chisel?
    It really depends on how dull it is. Yesterday a chisel being prepared for my grandson only needed a bit of touch up on a polishing stone. Another chisel had a nick or two and required work on a coarse, medium and fine stone. It also depends on whether or not one is using a grinder or other method for fast metal removal.

Or maybe, how can I tell when I've finished on my course stone?
    If there is a nick, then the blade should be worked on the coarse stone until the nick is gone. Of course this is based on the idea of one not having a grinder to remove metal to get past the nick. If the blade is only dull, then work on the coarse stone is done when a burr is raised across the full width of the blade.

Then there's, what grit do I need to polish and when do I use it?
    This depends not only on the person using the blade and the work they are doing it also depends on their choice of sharpening media. My polishing media consist of a few translucent Arkansas stones, a black Arkansas stone, two jasper hones, a Norton 8000 water stone, 6µ abrasive on a Veritas system and chromium oxide on leather.

The Norton 8000 is listed at 3µ abrasive grit size. Other makers stones are listed at the same grit size for their 5000 and 6000 offerings.

The important part of sharpening is to get the blade sharp enough to perform the work you require of it. A plane blade needs to be sharper for finish smoothing than a blade used in a scrub plane. A chisel paring end grain for dovetails needs a keener edge than a pig sticker chopping a mortise. Though either the mortise chisel or the scrub plane blade will be more productive with a sharp edge as compared to a dull edge.

As far as sleep goes, many years ago something in my reading about insomnia was that one of the best cures for insomnia is insomnia.

jtk

zzz
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

I posted a new thread with the sharpening stuff I've got if anyone would care to comment. Much appreciated. Again, just hate to highjack someone else's thread.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be concerned. We learn from each other.

Scary sharp. That's all you need to know. Google it. JK