Thread: LED Bath Vanity Mirror - Anybody?

LED Bath Vanity Mirror - Anybody?

Has anybody here built a bathroom vanity mirror with inset LEDs yet? Like a row of LEDs on each side of the mirror hiding behind a 2" wide band of opaque glass?

Looking for tips, hints, and ideas....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I haven’t done that but I’ve used led strips from superbright led’s and their controllers. It’s pretty painless. Figuring out what parts you need was the hardest part. Install is easy as everything is plug and play

Although I've installed lots of LEDs, never done what you're suggesting. The one thing I would keep in mind is that LEDs are intense little pinpoints of light and IMO best employed either indirect or heavily diffused so that source is not evident. Otherwise, it's reminiscent of the old rope lights. The other thing I'd consider a must would be dimmer in line somewhere...trust me!
    Last edited by Peter Rawlings; 07-15-2019 at 1:48 PM.

You can buy extrusions designed to house LED tape, and from the same sources you can buy opal diffusers which clip on to the extrusion. Like Peter says, you do want the diffuser. Lee Valley is one source. Superbrightleds is another. I much prefer warmer LED color than colder — “warm white” or “3000 Kelvin”.

The LOML would like something like this:
    led_lighted_vanity.jpg

But, she wants a "pretty" wooden frame around the mirror with the LED lighting inset in the frame "around" the mirror. I don't want this to cost a lot as my budget is low and I can make the frame, I have the old mirror that I can have cut down to the size she's wanting, and I'm not afraid to try this, but I'm just looking for ideas and anybody that has tried this to help me sort out the "gotchas" in this type of project.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    The LOML would like something like this:
    led_lighted_vanity.jpg

But, she wants a "pretty" wooden frame around the mirror with the LED lighting inset in the frame "around" the mirror. I don't want this to cost a lot as my budget is low and I can make the frame, I have the old mirror that I can have cut down to the size she's wanting, and I'm not afraid to try this, but I'm just looking for ideas and anybody that has tried this to help me sort out the "gotchas" in this type of project.
    I just built a display shelf with both up-lights and down-lights. Illumination came from LED 'tape' (warm-white, peel&stick). Used touch logic pad (~1" x 1.25" x 1/4") to control both on/off and dim (I used x2: 1 for up / 1 for down). Spec'd a 24VDC/60W power supply. All sourced from SuperBrightLEDs site. Only tools required were a terminal screw driver and scissors. I spent ~$100.

I'd think you could get by with a bit less $ (...no need for 2 controllers?). Also, I'll 2nd the idea of using diffuser glass or acrylic - the lights will be aimed at SWMBO's eyes, so be kind!!

I might also layout and plan the lighting first, maybe even assemble and test, and then build the frame so you can deal with power supply location, wire routing, light placement/density, and control placement (they have them for smart phone interface / remote - if that will meet Boss' approval).

Yell if you want links or part numbers.

Do not belive the hype that LEDs last forever. Make sure the power supply and the leds can be replaced not epoxied into a solid mass.
    Bil lD

you can get led strips in an aluminum track with a diffuser cover that snaps on. Ikea sells them for under counter lights and we really liked them. something similar could be installed in a channel routed in the wood frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do not belive the hype that LEDs last forever. Make sure the power supply and the leds can be replaced not epoxied into a solid mass.
    Bil lD
    Oh my plan is to make it "serviceable".
    I prefer simple and easy to maintain designs.
    Dennis -

I see zero issue with the idea. Should any LEDs fail in the future, the LED tape is very easy to peel off when you need to, but sticks fast otherwise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...