Thread: 2019 Grizzly G0623x 10" Sliding Table Saw Review

2019 Grizzly G0623x 10" Sliding Table Saw Review

Just purchased a G0623x 2 weeks ago and it arrived last Thursday. Figured I'd post a review on it since there's a lot of debate on it's quality.

I'm going to skip the basic "unpacking and assembling" part, since I don't think it was anything special. It took me about 4 hours to assemble, (10pm-2am, yes I was excited lol). I did it all myself. The slide is heavy, but not super heavy for an average person. The only thing is I used my forklift to get it off the pallet and onto the mobile cart. After that it was quite easy.

-- Overall summary --
    Overall it feels as if there wasn't a big enough budget to make EVERYTHING perfect. But what Grizzly did was take the majority of the cost and put it into the slider. The rip fence doesn't slide the smoothest, the sheet metal extensions are finicky and not perfectly flat. The cast iron top is small and also not perfectly flat (At least mine wasn't). However the slider is beautiful. Zero play even with some force on it. Smooth for the price range. Easy (and plenty) of adjustability. The crosscut fence is solid and easily set to square.

No you're not going to get everything with this saw. But if the majority of your work is done on the slider, you'll be happy.

-- In-depth summary --

Some things I don't like about the "ripping" side of the saw
    - The sheet metal extensions aren't super flat (I never expected them to be though, they never are). The larger one has about a .015 dip, and the smaller one a .013 dip.
    - The cast iron top is not great. If I take my straightedge and hold it down on one end, the other side sticks up .043! That's over 1/32". Keep in mind it's also only 27" long. I've contacted Grizzly about it so we'll see what they do.
    - The rip fence is decent, but I had a Besimeyer fence before and that was definitely better. The lock felt more secure, although maybe it's negligible. The aluminum fence is nice and almost perfectly flat, which was nice. You can adjust the squareness to the table by raising/lowering the rail. One review I read said their fence was "not square with the table" but I don't think they knew you could adjust it.

Things I like about the "ripping" side of the saw
    - The rip fence slides forward and backward, so you can set it up to sit behind the blade, and use it for referencing on the slider. I think that's a nice ability.
    - Everything is pretty adjustable, so if you get it and something isn't perfect, you can usually tweak it and get it pretty close to perfect.
    - The crosscut fence on the slider can be slid about 12" left of the blade. So what this means is the majority of the time ripping stock and some plywood, you don't need to remove it. The only time you'd need to remove it is when your offcut is wider than about 12". I was under the impression that literally anytime you wanted to rip anything longer than the slider, you'd have to remove the crosscut fence. This is not the case. And since I use almost solid stock almost exclusively, I'll probably never have to remove the crosscut fence.

Things I like about the motor and blade drive
    - The motor is very smooth and quiet. Starts without a "shudder". Plenty of power without drawing a lot of amps. I actually have mine on a 20 amp circuit until I can replace the breaker to 30.
    - Changing blades is pretty easy. A decent amount of room to maneuver. Spindle lock is decent.
    - Scoring blade is easy to adjust, although it would be nice if it was toolless. It does require a hex wrench.
    - I modified mine for a Sharkguard which was super easy, and I love it.

Things I don't like about the slider
    - It sits above the cast iron top by just a hair, and it came this way from the factory. It'll mess up the angle on your rip cuts slightly. This can be adjusted very easily so I'll probably drop it sit level with the top. I understand this is to minimize friction, but I'll just keep it waxed. I don't see the purpose of keeping it higher.
    - I don't really trust angle guide on the crosscut fence.
    - The scale on the crosscut fence is almost useless since the whole fence easily slides left to right depending on how close you want it to the blade. You can't adjust the scale. If you set it up to measure perfectly from the blade, it would probably work great, but then you could never really move it for rips, etc.

Things I like about the slider
    - I love it! It's incredibly versatile. The first few cuts it immediately felt more natural than a miter sled on a table saw.
    - Mine was setup wonderfully from the factory (except for the height, but that's just a factory setting).
    - Runs smooth. It's not like sliding on butter, like a 50k slider might be, but it's very easy to push.
    - The length stops on the fence are rock solid.
    - The fence is easily adjustable back to square, thanks to the adjustable 90 stops. It was setup almost perfect from the factory too.
    - It fits a Incra miter gauge! The factory miter gauge is alright, but the Incra is great. You just have to add a few washers to drop the bar below the T-slot, and since the actual T-slot tapers it self-centers itself.
    - Dust collection is pretty good. Some people have complained about this, but I think it depends on your dust collector. I have a 5hp Cyclone and with the sharkguard, I can cut MDF almost dustlessly. The internal dust collection tapers to 3", which I think is stupid, but at least it gets very close to the blade. It's better than typical cabinet saws that just have a hook-up at the base.

Overall for the price it's an excellent purchase. Are there better sliders? Sure, but dollar for dollar, this one is definitely a good value.

(It was on sale to $2999, and I did have a 10% coupon, so I got it delivered for $2850)

Nice review Stewart.

I have had my Grizzly 623 slider for a year now, and have been too busy to really use it much so far, but I agree with you on many points.

About the stamped steel tables, I agree that they are not perfectly flat, but it is normal for this type table. In 2000, I bought a $12K Felder KF700, and the stamped tables were not flat either. My Griz tables seem about the same as the Felder was.

I also agree with you on the slider, which is not as smooth as the Felder was, but it really works just fine with no slop. The main thing I like about the Griz slider is how easy it is to adjust. All adjustments are logical and easy to reach. I had to have a Felder Rep adjust my slider for $350, and he worked over three hours on it, finally announcing "That's as good as I could get it". I did not have to adjust the Griz slider, and it is set right where the factory said it was. Mine is also slightly above the table, like all sliders, and I will probably adjust it flat someday when I get around to it.

Two things I do not care for on mine are the rip fence, which is a bit finicky, and the miter gage fence which does not really go back to 90 degrees accurately without using a square. I plan to also use an Incra setup, and have machined some wooden guides for it.

I have a new Beis fence I may put on the saw, but my normal ripping is usually done on my SawStop, so it is not a priority. Let me clarify here....the rip fence is just fine, but not quite up to what I am used to with two cabinet saws in the shop...one with a Beis clone, the other with a Unifence. It is like the difference between the fences on the Hammer, and the Felder slider.

All things considered, I also think my Griz 623 was a good buy.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-15-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick,

That is interesting to hear your experience with the Felder. Can I ask why you moved from a Felder to Grizzly? What's the story there? Most people would hold on to the Felder like it was a bar of gold!

Oh boy, are you gonna be sorry you asked that question.

I will try to shorten the answer. In the later part of the last millenium, I started running with the wrong crowd. They were all into Felder, Martin and other expensive tools. I had an Excalibur slider attachment on my Unisaw, and was happy with it, until being influenced by them.

I had just finished building my kitchen, and I had saved my money, buying and selling tools for tool money, and ordered the KF700. When it arrived, I set it up in my old shop, but kept my Unisaw for dado's etc. THAT was one of my best decisions, because I loved the Felder, and it did what it was supposed to, but I found out I must be an old dog, because I did not adapt to new tricks well.

12 or 13 years later, I still used the Unisaw more than the Felder Slider. I NEVER used the shaper, and continued to use the medium duty Delta shaper I had when I needed it over my router table. So...I sold the Felder. Meanwhile my influencers had moved on to higher priced (Altendorf) stuff, and out of my life.

In 2006, I moved into another house, built another shop, and have been remodeling and adding on since then. I got the yen for another slider when I started building the kitchen, and picked up a MiniMax SC3 for about $600 at an estate sale. After getting it squared away, I decided to sell it because it had a steel slider, not aluminum. But my appetite was whetted again and I decided to buy another used MiniMax, but it didn't work out.

I decided to get the Griz, but never had any intention to sell my Unisaw or the SawStop, I bought along the way. It will never be my primary saw, which is the SS, but I had the yen, the room, and the 10% Griz card, so here we go again.

That is the much abridged version of the story. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks, but they still like to try for another bite of the apple.

I do plan to make several jigs for the Griz slider, and I do use it, but it will not be my primary saw.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-15-2019 at 6:13 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Stewart did you buy this saw without seeing it first ? Or did you have a chance to check it out somewhere ?

Rick, that is an interesting story! I guess everybody works differently. I've had the grizzly slider for a week or so now and I can't ever see needing my PM66 anymore, although I almost exclusively work with solid stock. At first I was planning on keeping the PM66, but now I'll probably end up selling it.

Mike, I bought it new. I had seen one at a cabinet shop maybe a few months ago so they let me poke around it bit, but it was hard to get into any detail at that time, and I didn't run anything over it, but I was happy with what I saw.

Quick update if anyone is following along:

I emailed Grizzly on Monday about the cast iron top being bowed. Sent them a few pictures of the top with my straightedge and a steel rule measuring the gap. They apologized and said it was indeed out of tolerance. They sent out a replacement top Wednesday free of charge and the tracking says I'll have it Monday.

Not sure when I'll get to replacing it, but it's nice to see Grizzly standing behind their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Quick update if anyone is following along:

I emailed Grizzly on Monday about the cast iron top being bowed. Sent them a few pictures of the top with my straightedge and a steel rule measuring the gap. They apologized and said it was indeed out of tolerance. They sent out a replacement top Wednesday free of charge and the tracking says I'll have it Monday.

Not sure when I'll get to replacing it, but it's nice to see Grizzly standing behind their products.
    Well its a bummer it came not flat, but very nice that they replaced it. What are you supposed to do with the bowed one? Do they want you to send it back?