I am in the planning stage. I like most of what is described in this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpqhpgxzPE

But some questions for those using the moxon vise: Some I have seen use a rabbet on the clamping side of the jaws. This allows the use of a router to remove waste by letting the router ride on top. For those of you who have done this, do you use it a lot? Any downside when NOT using the router (due to the piece being clamped lower from the actual edge)? I was wondering if the same could be accomplished by simply putting a shorter spacer board next to the workpiece before clamping. Perhaps this could be one dedicated to be put on/off.

And what keeps the top surfaces of the jaws aligned/coplanar? The video used some guide blocks around the screws. That doesnt seem overly precise. (I need to go study how a traditional twin screw vise is aligned - separate guide rails? via the OD of the screw?). If doing anything located to the top surface, this needs to be flat and in plane.

What depth is needed? Many of the kits have relatively short screws - 8", and the handles screw on so the screw protrudes when clamped. Keeping the handles flush to the front and rotating the entire lead screw seemed nicer... But how much clamp capacity is needed? 4" enough??

Any other recommendations to consider?