Thread: New Hermes Manual Rotary - I want to drag

New Hermes Manual Rotary - I want to drag

I have recently purchased a New Hermes Gravograph IM pantograph engraver. That is one of the smaller manual units. It came with a rotary belt driven spindle and I want to diamond drag.

I have seen on ebay a listing that has a diamond stylus that is the correct fit @ 1/8" x 5" My question is can I use that to do diamond drag engraving without the motor.

Second question. Where can I get plastic caps for my spindle.

thanks Marty
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

More than likely that is the right diamond for drag engraving. Obviously, you should test it on some scrap before using it. You would not use the motor.

I'd be more inclined to buy from Johnson Plastics or one of the manufacturers such as Antares. That way you're sure to get a new one and one that is intended for general purpose engraving rather than one for calligraphy (doesn't work well).
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-14-2019 at 4:27 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike. I will go ahead and try the 1/8 diamond. The seller has other items I am getting like belts etc.

Do you know where to get the plastic spindle caps, aka nose cones, the thingy that prevents scratching of the piece as you engrave?

And I am planning to color fill ABS plastic (thermoformed post engraved) and want a recommend on what tape to use. Rotary engraved ABS.

thanks marty

The nose cones aren't usually plastic, most are stainless, although I have a large nose with a vacuum attachment that's Delrin... the collars that hold them on are nickel brass, and they're not to prevent scratching, they're to regulate the depth of rotary engraving. And the irony is, the nose cones can scratch. You can buy them from Gravograph, but they don't come cheap.

The 1/8" diamond tool will work great.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Martin,

Good place to go to would be Quality One Engravers in Cali.
    Talk to Fred and get nose cone and proper cutters if you did not receive in purchase package.

1 - diamond drag does not need spindle motor to run (hence drag engraving)
    2 - rotary burnishing requires spindle motor to run and burnishing tool
    3 - rotary deep engraving use nose cone or depth regulator with motor running and proper cutting tool.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Martin

The vacuum the Kev mentioned will do more to reduce scratching than just about anything else. You would likely be getting into more money than you want to spend so I'd advise using transfer paper to prevent scratching. Johnson's has engraver's tape to hold down your plastic material.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

thanks for the info

Thanks to the replies and info. I have found several places that carry the gravograph brand of nose cones and they make several plastic and teflon styles that don't scratch.

Here is the link for that: no affiliation

https://www.gravograph.us/products-a...gulating-noses

I have just received a new set of sharp cutters and am waiting on a belt - I am ready to learn about rotary.

cheers Marty.

Spindle lube?

On the New Hermes little engravers. I think I have the IM model, How do you lube the spindle and or motor. That info is not in the manual I have. thanks marty
    Last edited by Martin James; 07-23-2019 at 5:25 PM. Reason: pelling

For spindle rotation, it's all sealied bearings, no lubrication, spindle or motor...

For spindle Z-motion, sometimes the spindle and housing goo up. Usually working some light oil between the spindle and housing will work. If not, you need to remove the spindle from the housing- remove the screw attaching the handle to the spindle- it's been so long since I messed with a pantograph spindle, I forget where the spring is, but there's a spring --remove the belt pulley, remove the snap ring on top, the spindle should just drop out. Clean the housing 'tube' and spindle with alcohol, get them clean and dry. Smear some light oil on the spindle and in the housing tube, then with a paper towel, wipe off the excess until it's almost bone dry, no lube at all is preferable to too much lube, as it just collects dust and makes things gooey faster... Re-assemble.

** EDIT ** -- just looked at pics of an IM machine, way different than my old IRX-IV's, totally different pantograph setup, so dropping the spindle should be a simple matter of removing the pulley and the snap ring only...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 07-24-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle