Thread: Powermatic PWBS-14CS 14" Band Saw - Any owners?

Powermatic PWBS-14CS 14" Band Saw - Any owners?

Any owners out there that can comment on their satisfaction with this saw? I'm going to be adding a small band saw to my shop and this seems to both check all the boxes and have a couple of favorable woodworking mag/forum reviews. That said, I'd rather hear from a real owner.

My situation:

Hobbyist woodworker. I'm looking for the ability to resaw up to 6" as well as cut curves and other fairly precise small cuts. I see this saw has a riser option available if I want to resaw larger sizes down the road. I'm after smooth, quiet operation. The versatility I'll be looking for will require multiple blades so changeover needs to be quick and simple. Replacement blades need to be easy to find. While I have 230/1/60 available for my table saw and dust collector, this will need to run on 110V. I need a good mobile base (cramped basement shop). I see most of these saws come in a couple cartons and assembly is required. While I have an Engineering degree, I don't want that to be a prerequisite for successful assembly. I'm looking for something that goes together easily and requires a minimum of tweaking.

Thanks in advance for any commentary. If you've been down this path and gone a different direction, please school me.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob,
    I've had this saw for over 10 years and never thought about replacing it. I have the riser block on mine. If you think you might want one eventually, sooner is better than later so you don't have to replace all your blades. The blades are available at any woodworking outlet. Mine is still set up for 110V operation and has never bogged down even resawing 8 inch white oak. It has been on a mobile base since day 1. I would suggest the type with screw down stands. They make it a lot easier to get it stable. Assembly was easy. It might have taken an hour. One box is the base and the other is the saw. You also have to mount the table and hook up the air hose. Don't trim the air hose to fit without the riser in place. If you do, there won't be enough length to reconnect it when you add a riser.
    I've had good luck with Olsen Pro blades. I use a 5/8 3TPI blade to resaw. It cuts well and the saw seems able to tension it enough. I should mention that I am not an aggressive sawyer. The blade has to do the cutting and I go slow. The other blade I use is 3/16 8TPI. It sounds like your blade needs may be greater than mine. I can only opine that a 1/8 inch blade might present a problem with the roller guides (IE. getting enough purchase to actually control the blade).
    Blade changes are a 5 minute or so affair. I have always had to adjust blade track even when using the same size blade.
    The tires are the only thing I have had to replace other than blades.
    So, I like the saw and I would buy it again. That said, if you will need to use a 1/8 inch blade, prove to your satisfaction than the saw can accommodate it. The manual says yes; I'm not sure.

Thanks for the detailed response Mike. I made the trip to the store yesterday to buy the Powermatic, but went with a Rikon 10-326 instead. It was a little less expensive (even with the Powermatic on sale) but more fully featured. My wife had the cargo hauler yesterday so all I could bring home was the mobility kit and a spare blade. We pick it up Tuesday so I should have it assembled and adjusted properly by the weekend. I'm looking forward to being able to resaw and cut curves.

Good choice.

Well we picked it up today. One carton, 300#. Yikes! No idea how I’ll get this in the basement. A piece at a time I guess. Maybe I’ll hire a couple movers. It’s hell getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It’s hell getting old.
    Well, I'm already old. Today I watched my son mow the lawn, and I weedeated for about 30 minutes and I'm bushed. Long ago I could do that all day, (job) and still have energy to woodwork after..... Man does time suck.

OH, the band saw. I don't think you will be unhappy. Mine is 1.5 hp, twice my other 14" Delta....... Yeah, its a good bandsaw. I do have a riser, and it still outperforms my Delta that is stock. It does need a 20 amp outlet. I tripped my 15 amp all the time. Or, you could wire it for 220 I believe. Mine can.

I got the bandsaw set up yesterday. A co-worker helped me lug the box downstairs. I was able to lighten it up by taking out the base and iron top and all the other loose parts. The whole assembly and setup process took about two hours. Everything went pretty smooth. A couple of minor beefs:

The main body of the saw was welded to the base plate at an angle of 2-3* off square. It's noticeable by eye and even more so with a square (see pic). It was a little disheartening when I called the retailer. I emailed him photos and he told me the Jets and Powermatic he checked were worse. Gosh, should I feel better now? I soldiered on and finished the setup process. The factory blade 3/4" cut well but was noisy and induced vibration. It had apparently taken a set. I swapped out the blade for a new 3/8" and it was night and day. I still need to get the blade tension figured out (I don't trust the gauge yet) as well as the drive belt tension. Tracking seems to be pretty responsive and easy to set, as do the various blade guide rollers. Getting the table square to the blade is a real adventure. There is no "key" or other feature that locks it in place. At least the fence angle is adjustable to compensate (maybe too adjustable).

I'll putz around with it for a couple days and then do another complete setup to get it dialed in. Resaw tests so far went well and suggest I'm close, although I need to get a different blade that doesn't induce so much noise.

48393929797_d62c10e16c_b.jpg

48393929847_ba2f0510d5_b.jpg

I can't beleive it's out of plumb that much in just 12 inches, it appears to be about 5/16", WOW!! How far out is at the table? I do realize that the cut will still be perpendicular, I guess you could always build a wedge for the floor, or put a lift in your shoe...
    And, a miter gauge is an accessory??
    Really, I'm not trying to knock your new bandsaw, I wish you much wood dust making with it!

Ed