Thread: Maple desk with hutch

Maple desk with hutch

Maple desk with hutch. An unpaid commission () for my folks, based on their design inputs. It will sit in a large, open-plan kitchen, so I wanted to keep it somewhat cabinetry-looking, and was going for an aesthetic like "rustic-ish farmhouse meets Scandinavian modern".

I think it turned out OK, but would genuinely appreciate any feedback from you more experienced folks. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great to me; functional, and I think you nailed the neo-Danish.

If you have 100-150 bdft of fiddle-back left-over (always a little drop), I might be able to haul it off for you??

Ha. The guy I bought the lumber from would have been very annoyed about that one piece that got mixed in with the rest, but sadly, it was only enough for those 3 drawer fronts.

It’s looks great to me very clean look. I might have added knobs to the doors and maybe smaller handles to the small drawers.
    Looks like the maple is all from the same tree.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I reallyLike that. Nice clean lines, clean modern look.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dan, it looks fabulous! Very clean & precise looking. How long did it take?

Very well done, Dan. The only design change I would have considered would be to add a "backsplash" at the back of the desk top to stop stuff from going overboard and down the wall.

John

Nice and unusual, please show us a pic of how it fits in the kitchen. I think a back made of a light distorting plastic might be
    interesting, making "fire works" of kitchen activity.

..A really smart looking desk, Dan. As long as the hutch is stable, I wouldn't put any back on it .. especially if there's some nice wallpaper behind it. ..Maybe a cork noteboard with a frame made out of the same maple.

That's very well done Dan. I think you achieved your design goals. I too would like to see a pic of it in place in that kitchen.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice desk Dan. I like the light maple. And very functional.

Very well done. Wood and finish beautiful. I like the special treatment for the three drawer fronts.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    nice job!

I'm just a hobbyist, but I like the handles vs the knobs. I never liked knobs that much, but that's just me. Beautiful wood.