Thread: "Darth Vader" dust mask

"Darth Vader" dust mask

I currently use the Elipse 100 mask, which works well for me, but it looks like the "Darth Vader" mask might be more comfortable. Any comments? Is it as good in preventing dust from getting to my lungs? Is it easier to put on and take off? I see many different designs. Any favorites?

Thanks for any comments.

Ellen
    What is a "Dart Vader" mask??
    I have been using an RZ mask the past few weeks and really like it. It is supposed to be rated to .1micron.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The RZ mask makes most people look like Darth Vader.

I too use the Elipse 100 mask and it works for me. One problem that I had was the elastic bands would stretch out too much and I would have a long piece of strap hanging down which concerned me while I was turning. I remedied that problem by taking the used head gear off of my Bi-Pap mask that I wear while sleeping and fashioned it to fit my Elipse. This thing works great and is more comfortable to wear. I haven't figured out why they haven't come up with a better solution. Maybe I should give them a heads up.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    The RZ mask makes most people look like Darth Vader.
    Oh, if that's the one you're looking at, I'll give you my thoughts on it.

-It is a very comfortable mask to wear.
    -It does not eliminate glasses fogging up, but that problem is greatly reduced. Even in the higher temps and humidity of my garage shop. It's very "dealable".
    -The nose piece band is very nice. It allows you you to wear your glasses in the proper position and still get an adequate seal around the nose area.
    =I have the F1 filters and they do cause you to work a little bit harder to breathe, but I doubt it would be an issue in a shop environment. They make two other filters for the same mask that re easier to breathe through, but still keep the same .1 micron rating.
    - The filters are replaceable and interchangeable.
    The negatives:
    - It is sized by a person's weight, so some assumptions had to be made. I don't know if the shape of a women's face, as opposed to a man's face, for the same weight is going to be the same.
    - They don't seem to be well stocked at the Big Box store.They didn't have a lot of sizes available at Lowes. They only had mediums and Xtra larges when I went there
    and got mine. It might take you a try or two to get the right size, if available.
    - They're really only for dust in my opinion, even though they have a carbon filter. If you were working around heavy chemicals, I think you'd want a different mask.

Overall;
    They are much better than a disposable dust mask, and much more comfortable than either a 1/2 face mask, or a disposable dust mask. If they really do filter down to .1 micron, as advertised, they're a nice option for wood working.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have used the Elipse mask for several years now. It is the most comfortable type I have used to date. The filters are great. My only complaint is that the straps stretch and wear. I have replaced them with elastic and rubber strips at various times. Something along the lines of the 3M I have would be better (these are a very durable, molded plastic design). I’ve only seen photos of the RZ mask, and that is enough to make me feel claustrophobic. How good is their dust management of small particles? Better than the Elipse?

Regards from Perth

Derek

The filters of the RZ mask look like thin pieces of fabric. I doubt they could filter out small particles as well as cartridge filters like those on the 3M 7500 series half-mask filters which is what I use. Lots of cartridges available including organic vapors which will remove vapors like lacquer, polyurethane, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    The filters of the RZ mask look like thin pieces of fabric. I doubt they could filter out small particles as well as cartridge filters like those on the 3M 7500 series half-mask filters which is what I use. Lots of cartridges available including organic vapors which will remove vapors like lacquer, polyurethane, etc.
    Mark
    The 7500 has three filter ratings available 95%, 99%, and 99.97%. The RZ is claimed at 99.9%. Their website also has a list of chemicals the mask filters out.
    What I didn't see was a NIOSH rating on their website. They do have and independent lab testing certification, but not a NIOSH rating that I could find.
    If their claims are untrue, or exaggerated, they're setting themself up for legal action down the road.
    As I said though, I have found that they're fine for "general" wood shop use. I'm allergic to mahogany, it causes my lips and mouth to go numb, so I used some mahagony as a simple test for effectiveness while wearing the RZ mask. I didn't have any issues when wearing the mask while cutting up mahagony.
    I mostly picked it for use because of my need to wear glasses. I have alot of experience wearing all types of respirators/masks, from paper masks, to SCBA's.The RZ is just another alternative on the market.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-14-2019 at 8:56 AM.

That’s good to know Mike- thanks. The RZ filters look very thin in the pics- are they?

Mark
    Yes, they're thin, and replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Mark
    Yes, they're thin, and replaceable.
    I’m thinking that thin “a la Bill Pentz” = poor filtering, lol!