Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "contact trip" on framing nailers

Not be, but to be the safety police, unless you are a full time framer, I would really recommend not using bump fire for the framing gun. I know it is "faster" and is really cool, but I have seen a ton of people nail their hands to walls, put nails in their thighs and injury other people when the gun went off when they did not expect it.

You should treat it with the same level of respect as you would treat a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    Not be, but to be the safety police, unless you are a full time framer, I would really recommend not using bump fire for the framing gun. I know it is "faster" and is really cool, but I have seen a ton of people nail their hands to walls, put nails in their thighs and injury other people when the gun went off when they did not expect it.

You should treat it with the same level of respect as you would treat a firearm.
    I need to figure out how to convert my Dad's nail gun to fire only on trigger pull. Helped him with a couple sections of privacy fence and the bump fire scared the (expletive deleted) out of me. Had several occasions of two nails for one. I need to figure out what model he has ( I think is might be an older Senco) and see what needs to be done to covert it.

John

I don't think there is any way to make the old Senco's single action only.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    I need to figure out how to convert my Dad's nail gun to fire only on trigger pull. Helped him with a couple sections of privacy fence and the bump fire scared the (expletive deleted) out of me. Had several occasions of two nails for one. I need to figure out what model he has ( I think is might be an older Senco) and see what needs to be done to covert it.

John
    The "double-tap" is also a technique issue--you can't "squeeze" the trigger like you would with a firearm; you have to pull it and release it firmly and quickly.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I’ve had lots of experience with nail guns of all kinds. I’ve shot many millions of nails. I would guess that I’ve double shot a few, don’t know how many but less than 50 I would bet. I would not want to use a gun that doesn’t bump fire, frame or trim. I definitely would not recommend a bump fire gun for inexperienced or occasional users. It’s all technique, you have to be loose and flexible. The worst mistake is to push hard and tighten up for the shot. If you have ever seen an inexperienced person on a jack hammer that gets it in a white knuckled grip or better yet a ball tamper it is absolutely great comedy. Same technique different tools.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I’ve had lots of experience with nail guns of all kinds. I’ve shot many millions of nails. I would guess that I’ve double shot a few, don’t know how many but less than 50 I would bet. I would not want to use a gun that doesn’t bump fire, frame or trim. I definitely would not recommend a bump fire gun for inexperienced or occasional users. It’s all technique, you have to be loose and flexible. The worst mistake is to push hard and tighten up for the shot. If you have ever seen an inexperienced person on a jack hammer that gets it in a white knuckled grip or better yet a ball tamper it is absolutely great comedy. Same technique different tools.
    Jim
    Seems this is essentially my problem. Like...I can build stuff. I have some experience. I like to think I am more competent than the average home owner. But I am not wearing a nail apron 5 days a week.