Thread: Delta 1440 lathe worth saving?

Delta 1440 lathe worth saving?

I am going to look at a used Delta 1440 tomorrow and would like to know if its a decent lathe. I won't know age, condition or asking price until I get there, but if its a reputable tool, I'd be using to to replace my Jet midi-lathe. Any thoughts welcome. I couldn't find any good info by searching. Thanks.

(edit) Digging a bit deeper, I can see this is pretty much a beginners lathe with some reputation for problems. So assuming good condition, I will be trying to judge whether its a worth it as a step up from my midi, and of course the price will determine whether its a bargain. I dont foresee needing a bigger lathe in the future.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 07-12-2019 at 9:17 PM.

I probably wouldn't make the trip unless it is almost free! There are no parts available for this lathe except from those that have scrapped the lathe. The variable speed (reeves drive) is the weak link in this lathe. I had completely reworked mine with cast iron step pulleys, a 3 phase motor, and a VFD before I sold it (I upgraded to a larger lathe).

I still have a motor, power switch and a few misc parts for the Delta 1440 if you you decide to buy it.

Pop the cover off to check the condition of the pulleys on the Reeves drive. If they are good, I would pay $100 for it. With luck, you will find one that's had little use.

Thanks guys for the tips. I passed on the lathe. They wanted $300, and as suggested, I looked under the hood and it looked like there was a lot of wear. I might have bought it if I hadn't checked here first, so I appreciate the help.