Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Roku?

Blog Entries

Anyone using Roku?

I have a "Smart" Samsung TV. It is supposed to run Netflix, Amazon , etc but often when I try to run them I get "setting up the TV ,please try again later."
    I'm thinking of buying a Roku which, from what I can tell (I am technically challenged) will eliminate this problem.
    Is anyone using Roku, if so how do you like it.
    Also my TV is mounted on the wall so I can't get at the HDMI port but there is a HDMI cable connected to my cable box, so is it correct to assume I can connect the Roku there?
    Finally which Roku, they have several models , would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I have Roku express on two TVs. I like them. I run Hulu live, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Pluto TV, YouTube, etc. The Roku plugs into the HDMI pprt on the TV. I dumped DirectTV and switched to Hulu live with the Roku and have been very happy and save about $75 per month. I suppose you could plug it into the cable box but I think you should dump it and instead go with Hulu live. YouTubeTV, or maybe Sling instead

Also, you can cast to the Samsung TV. I do this also on the one I have which is similar to yours. Open YouTube, for example, on your smartphone, and cast using the on screen button.

Been using Roku for about two years now. Works great. Like Pat above, ours is connected to a Samsung smart TV.

Roku enjoys a good following. I don't use it because I have AppleTV units, but the general idea is the same and you don't have to stream from a separate wireless device...it's a more "TV like" experience, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you getting a strong enough signal to your Samsung? We also have a Samsung TV and the NetFlix, etc works fine and works better when I moved the WiFi router a bit. We also have a Ruku that works well, but I don't know the model. I don't watch TV but I could ask my Lovely Bride - she and the grandkids watch things from all the sources and I haven't heard any complaints, well unless the WiFi has temporarily gone out!

Do you not have several HDMI ports accessible from the side?

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have a "Smart" Samsung TV. It is supposed to run Netflix, Amazon , etc but often when I try to run them I get "setting up the TV ,please try again later."
    I'm thinking of buying a Roku which, from what I can tell (I am technically challenged) will eliminate this problem.
    Is anyone using Roku, if so how do you like it.
    Also my TV is mounted on the wall so I can't get at the HDMI port but there is a HDMI cable connected to my cable box, so is it correct to assume I can connect the Roku there?
    Finally which Roku, they have several models , would you recommend?
    Thanks

We cut the cable the end of 2018 and switched to DirectvNow that runs on Roku. We have several Roku units (express, ultra) and are happy with them. Although we have a number of smart TVs, we use the roku rather than the smart tv features as they were problematic. Netflix, DirectvNow, Acorn and Prime video are our favorite Roku apps. one of th TVs does not have hdmi ports, but the one model roku has composite output. One of the nice features with the roku is it can control tv volume. We are very satisfied with the roku.

We have a Roku 3 now several years old and we had an older one before that. There's a lot of useless junk available on the Roku but also a lot of good stuff. You can get an HDMI cable switch for $10-15 to switch the single HDMI cable between 2 or more sources.

Start with the free solutions to your issue - update the tv’s firmware, and try a hardwired connection to your router. If it’s still unreliable after those steps, you have several choices available - roku, firestick, appletv, etc

I keep a Roku in my suit case. I don't use it at home, we have TiVO that has streaming apps that work well. Roku is very useful in hotels where it's a challenge to find something I find worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I keep a Roku in my suit case. I don't use it at home, we have TiVO that has streaming apps that work well. Roku is very useful in hotels where it's a challenge to find something I find worth watching.
    I can really see the value in that for someone in your occupation...you never know what's going to be available where you are in the moment and want to chill.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We have Roku on two non-smart TVs in the house. They work fine. They were actually recommended to me by the Comcast guy when he was hooking up my cable. Most of the time we use the Roku instead of the Comcast box and I've disconnected the Fire box because it's available through Roku.

Dennis
    Why can't you get to HDMI connections on you Smart TV?
    You really want to start using those connections.just about everybody makes some type of HDMI "controller ". Set it up
    Once and everything interfaces through that controller to your screen.
    If the cable box is already hooked up via HDMI, get a controller, and hook the ROKU and the cable box to the controller, and the controller out to the existing HDMI connection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Dennis
    Why can't you get to HDMI connections on you Smart TV?
    You really want to start using those connections.just about everybody makes some type of HDMI "controller ". Set it up
    Once and everything interfaces through that controller to your screen.
    If the cable box is already hooked up via HDMI, get a controller, and hook the ROKU and the cable box to the controller, and the controller out to the existing HDMI connection.
    I can't get to the HDMI connections since the tv is hung on the wall and there is very little room behind it. I do already have a splitter which is attached to my set top box and my DVD player so I plan to (hopefully) connect it that way , as you suggested.
    I ordered a Roku, supposed to arrive on Monday.
    Thanks
    Dennis

I just got a Roku Ultra because Tivo dropped the Xfinity On Demand app. My co-worker said his Roku stick is slow, but the Ultra is quite quick. The Xfinity Stream app on the Roku is much better than the Tivo app for the most part.