Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing underlayment from around kitchen cabinets

removing underlayment from around kitchen cabinets

Looking for suggestions on the best way [and tool to use] to cut and remove 1/4inch underlayment from around kitchen cabinets before installing a new floating vinyl floor?

oscillating tool should work for that. Just be careful not to rub the cabinets with the back of the blade. Angel the blade back should keep you safe.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    oscillating tool should work for that. Just be careful not to rub the cabinets with the back of the blade. Angel the blade back should keep you safe.
    +1. Exactly. Just get an offset blade made for cutting wood and thin metal, turn the tool on edge and set the bottom f the blade flush against the toe-kick and start a plunge cut, the angle back so you're following the toe-kick with the ever of the blade making the cut. You could even use painter's tape to help protect the toe-kick surface from abrasions.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

There's a saw specifically designed to cut that underlayment right at the face of the toekick. Google "toekick saw". Tool rental places have them.

I put a drywall knife under the oscillating blade so it does not scrape the cabinet.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    There's a saw specifically designed to cut that underlayment right at the face of the toekick. Google "toekick saw". Tool rental places have them.
    Home Depot rents them also.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Harbor Freight sells them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-38-i...saw-62420.html

You can buy one - use it at your leisure - then turn around and sell it.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

1/4" plywood cuts fairly easily with a utility knife.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I was faced with a similar problem I just used a wide wood chisel. I had about 20 lineal feet to do. Didn’t seem like it took that long. I just had to be careful to not it the face frame of the cabinet when hitting thechisel with the hammer.

Probably not helpful, but it's always best to remove cabinets and run any flooring under, then replace cabinets. That sounds like what you already have. Maybe not common in some parts, but it eases dishwasher installs and makes for a more professional outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by william walton View Post
    Probably not helpful, but it's always best to remove cabinets and run any flooring under, then replace cabinets. That sounds like what you already have. Maybe not common in some parts, but it eases dishwasher installs and makes for a more professional outcome.
    .....and then have to replace counter tops?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

If they are going to remove the underlayment and lay a new floor, their is no reason they can't just continue that treatment into the dishwasher recess. As far as professionalism goes, plenty of pros are laying new floors in finished kitchens. It's all about how well you do the job. Flooring under the cabinets just makes them look original to the house.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of that being done unless the cabinets are being replaced. Doing so could easily be more work than the actual flooring install. If there is a small island it might be practical to remove it for the flooring.

14. There's no doubt it is more work, but it's what I've done in my last two homes and glad i did. Another advantage is my counters aren't lowered by 3/4" . I've encountered problems installing dishwashers in a tighter space as well. It's all a matter of choice. Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    I think the whole point of removing the underlayment is to keep the counters at the original height. That would be much easier than removing the lower cabinets