Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBSS Tool Chest Build

Thanks Ben.

Moved the bench under the window and rearranged the shop yet again. Has gone cold here with a couple inches of the white stuff on the ground, even though the leaves on the maple in back haven't come off. Shop is nice and bright and warm-the pain of the insulation and sheetrock and paint are wearing off

Have finished up the carcass, here from the back showing the innards:

IMG_8367.jpg

All the drawer stock is rough milled and I have the fronts fitted. I decided a practice drawer would be a good idea. The practice drawer was indeed a good idea as I was rusty in marking, sawing and chopping. A few covered tracks visible in the practice drawer on top if you squint.

IMG_8365.jpg

And starting to look like the real thing with the practice drawer in place:

IMG_8374.jpg

Starting to think about pulls. Would like small knobs, but don't have a lathe. So perhaps brass. Any specific suggestions?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice project..Good progress
    Jerry

Enjoying your progress, nice work. Why not make rectangular wood pulls with a simple groove in the bottom?

That’s coming along nicely! I’ve made wooden pulls that are dovetailed into the top of the drawer. Then you end up with a narrow rectangular pull. I’ll put a little hollow in the bottom with a gouge to give a better grip. You can shape them any way you like.

I also like Paul Seller’s design where he makes multi-part pulls with a stem that is dovetailed into the body of the pull. The stem goes through a small mortise in the face of the drawer. That design would let you place the pull in the center of the drawer. I’m pretty sure you can find the YouTube video where he shows how he makes them.

E2C22369-4E4B-44C7-B617-D897BAB2CC6F.jpg

This may give you some ideas: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...awerPulls.html

Use a variation of the design. The link is how to make them ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Beautiful chest Christopher!

Thanks all. Richard, Ben and Derek, thanks for the nudge toward some wooden pulls. Derek, I had missed that post on your website, so thank you for that. I'll likely mock up some wooden ones.
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Very nice Chris- thanks for sharing the build pics and descriptions. Congratulations on your new shop! Hope you have many happy hours there!

Hmmm..maybe some of these will do ya..
    2 drawer chest, drawer knobs.JPG
    I used these on a small tool chest...
    2 drawer chest, both knobs installed.JPG
    Similar to the one Paul Sellers was building ( I simply added a second drawer)
    2 drawer chest, front stained PIP.JPG

The pulls have a small glue area for the size of the drawer. If you angle the tenon top and mortice hole 30 degrees to match and insert a filler strip below the tenon (not visible) they will never come out. The tenon can be a little shorter than the pull.
    Also wondering why the brass chest handle is not set into the wood flush, much stronger that way!
    Regards from Ontario.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

You've put a lot of work into it. The pulls can make or break the look. Don't save money now.

Hi all,

Anybody remember this one? It is part of my long-standing efforts to have the longest build threads ever. Derek went and built an entire version and has it mostly french fitted for his tools in the time I've managed to make 5 drawers! Thankfully, classes are over and getting some steam for this project again. Still deciding on pulls and whether to build or buy.

IMG_9542.jpg
    --Yogi Berra

Looking forward to your progress. Good things take time Chris!

Looking good!