Thread: Entrance Door

Blog Entries

Entrance Door

I am reading the current issue of Woodsmith and there is an article about making an entrance door.
    My old door rotted but had leaded glass panels I wanted to save. I bought some prime fir 2X6 boards and ripped 1 7/8 thick strips.
    I glued these into 5" wide boards and made the stiles and rails from these glue ups. I put raised panels in the lower half and the three
    salvaged vertical glass panels in the top 42" of the door. The door is over ten years old, gets August sun in the summer.

There has been two hurricanes and the door has held up will. The door is painted and weather stripped.
    This post might inspire you to make a door. I could not find solid wood quality doors when I did this.

Maybe this will inspire some of you to build door.

Blog Entries
    Photos would be inspirational.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Maybe this will inspire some of you to build door.
    Good for you. I had a similar experience, I got quoted about $1000 per door for custom pine interior doors. ($500 per door, $500 for shipping) I need two at the time, because the original doors in my 100 year old house had warped to the point that they would not close. Instead of spending $2K, I spent that much in tools to build two interior doors. Now I have a complete wood shop and two interior doors.

Blog Entries
    I will download pictures when I can remember how to do it.
    I will google it.

Blog Entries
    I’d like to see photo’s too. Haha. But you have inspired me to make a door now.

Well done Lowell. Glad to hear the door has held up well. It's nice when you can use an object, you made yourself on a daily basis. It's fulfilling.

I've built a couple of interior doors and it's a very rewarding project for a person doing their own work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Door are fun to make. I also made a back door with 2x8's ripped to 1 3/4" then edge glued to make the door slab.
    It has a 28" square glass pane in it. The glass is made for hurricane proof applications.
    The door also has a pet door in it. It has withstood hurricane force winds.

Blog Entries
    IMG_0767 (1).jpg

Here is the door. I do not know why the image is rotated. If an administrator can rotate it, please do.
    We tell new friends to look for the house with the red door.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-13-2019 at 7:02 PM.

Well done , Lowell. The 3 across plan is a good way to improve modern too fat door dimensions. And it's looks like you
    have a nice Norfolk Island Pine, keeping those alive is a skill ,too.

Blog Entries
    SWMBO planted the tree. I did not know what kind it is until she told me.

I too was impressed with the Woodsmith article and my wife said she thought it would look good on our house. I really appreciate the thourghness that Woodsmith magazine utilizes on projects such as this.
    So sometime in the future we might get a new door!😇

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

Here is the door. I do not know why the image is rotated. If an administrator can rotate it, please do.
    We tell new friends to look for the house with the red door.
    Nice job Lowell!
    David

Door.jpg