All,
I am nearing the point of completion on my Paul Sellers-based bench and I am beginning to think about my options for finishing the wood prior to use. To that end, I wanted to solicit options for finishing the bench from the hive-mind.

The bench is made of Doug Fir/Hem Fir and I have no interest in staining it. If there is a color inherent in the finishing method (via shellac or something) that is fine, but I see no reason to make the bench attempt to look like something other than SPF.

I am interested primarily in two things: simplicity of initial application and ease of refinish/maintenance; durability is also appreciated, but this is a bench and will get damaged. (My main aim for durability would be its ability to withstand spills, whether of coffee/tea, water, and possibly oils - this is my only bench so I will be doing occasional metalworking on it, too.)

Also, I am in the US so if you are going to recommend a product, it must be available in the US; I very much admire the woodworking of our non-US-based members, but if I can't get the stuff you use ...

Bonus points if your finishing suggestions could accommodate sealing and protecting the artistic 'stylings' of my five-year old! (I don't know what it would be over, but could be pencil, pen, marker, crayon, or paint. I know that the wax of the crayon might present problems.)

And ... GO!

Patrick