Thread: Really slick window hardware

Blog Entries

Really slick window hardware

I don't know what they call it but they have some really neat window hardware in Italy.

The window looks like this closed and locked.
    20190711_171716.jpg
    With yhe handle horizontal. It opens by swinging to the side.
    20190711_171626.jpg
    With the handle turned up it opens like a vent.
    20190711_171654.jpg
    Here are the upper and lower hinges.
    20190711_171535.jpg
    20190711_171556.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-11-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think I know what you mean, Lee...I shop build video I watched sometime ago for a fellow on that side of the big ocean used them. They are very clever and useful. Probably costly, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They're called Tilt/Turn windows. Very popular in Europe (and yes, they are priced considerably higher than we're used to on this side of the pond).
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I believe our buddy Joe Calhoon in Ouray, CO is set up to make these. EVERYTHING Joe makes is SWEET.

Matthias Wandel did a video from Germany showing them in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT8eBjlcT8s

Marvin, Jeld Wen and probably others make them here.

These are nearly standard in Germany. Not only do all of my windows function like this, but also the double doors going out to the upstairs and ground level patios.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    These are nearly standard in Germany. Not only do all of my windows function like this, but also the double doors going out to the upstairs and ground level patios.
    I lived in Italy in the mid 70s and Germany in the late 80s and both countries had these windows. Great for cleaning, especially in Germany where the windows were on the 3rd and 4th floors and the locals expected you to clean them weekly. Don't know why they never caught on stateside, as they were great windows. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    I believe our buddy Joe Calhoon in Ouray, CO is set up to make these. EVERYTHING Joe makes is SWEET.

Thanks Patrick!

I've been building these for almost 20 years now. I had a cousin in Sud Tirol of northern Italy that made doors and windows. That inspired me to make some for my own house. My shop is pretty modest compared to the 50 or more shops I have visited in Europe. The ones Marvin and other large window companies are making are pretty watered down versions. It’s a specialized high end market for these here but a commodity product in Europe. Although the PVC windows are gaining a market share there because of the low cost.

It’s a great system for building windows, entry doors, folding- sliding doors, lift and slide doors and tilt turn French doors.
    Spendy to set up tooling and machines for this though.

here are some pictures of my original house windows and a recent job through the shop. The hardware for these have changed a lot in the last 10 years for the new energy codes in Europe. I prefer the hidden hinges.
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 07-13-2019 at 5:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    It seems like Europe has always been decades ahead of North America when it comes to windows. I was in a 'cabin' that the owner had put European windows & doors in. He had a friend in the old country who owned a window & door business send them over here. The mechanisms were all extremely well made & smooth operating. Seals seemed just about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    It seems like Europe has always been decades ahead of North America when it comes to windows. I was in a 'cabin' that the owner had put European windows & doors in. He had a friend in the old country who owned a window & door business send them over here. The mechanisms were all extremely well made & smooth operating. Seals seemed just about perfect.
    Competition over there has brought the price way down such that they're much more common than here. In the UK, Accoya is used frequently for these so they're long lasting and very stable. Tooling sets for these can be very expensive.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3