Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminum foil

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I dimly recall air can serve as an electrolyte too, just a really, really poor one....???
    In the absence of plasma, I think air performs far better as an insulator than as an electrolyte.

In other words, to get galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals "submerged" in air, I suspect it's gonna take something on the order of 13.8 billion years. YMMV
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 07-13-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    In the absence of plasma, I think air performs far better as an insulator than as an electrolyte.

In other words, to get galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals "submerged" in air, I suspect it's gonna take something on the order of 13.8 billion years. YMMV
    I guess I'll have to go dig up my Chemistry professor and scold him. I'd also guess that with the foil touching the file, an electrolyte becomes somewhat less important.

...like I said, waayy out in the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I'd also guess that with the foil touching the file, an electrolyte becomes somewhat less important.
    Not true. Without an electrolyte, there will be, and can be, no galvanic corrosion. Not sure how to say it any plainer.

Dissimilar metals in air don't galvanically corrode. Otherwise, everything that was ever plated would corrode to pieces. (This happens, but only with an electrolyte.)