Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520A

Powermatic 3520A

I saw this lathe on Criaglist. It seems like the price is a little high (asking $2850) but I know this is a good lathe and it has almost not ever been used. I currently have a Jet 1640EVS in good working order. Wondering what you think the value of each would be if I try to do a switcheroo?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like a fair price, especially if you get anything else with it.

I see Craft Supply has 15% off on new PM's right now.

nice piece of iron but i personally think it may be priced bit high. especially with not add ons like bed extension or tooling.
    just me 2 pesos

That's overpriced in my opinion. I'd spend a bit more on the 3520C to get the cam-lock tool post holder and the remote control.

The price may be a little high but doesn't seem too far off based on some I've heard of in the last year or so, especially if it really is nearly new. If it doesn't sell quickly perhaps they will take a little less. I've seen uused 1640s go for $1200-$1600.

If you have room consider keeping the 1640 - a second lathe in the shop is incredibly handy. I have the PM and two 1640s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    I saw this lathe on Criaglist. It seems like the price is a little high (asking $2850) but I know this is a good lathe and it has almost not ever been used. I currently have a Jet 1640EVS in good working order. Wondering what you think the value of each would be if I try to do a switcheroo?

Thanks.

That's in my neck of the woods, so I've seen that post as well (it showed up shortly after I bought my Laguna.) It has been up for at least two months now, so it's possible they would take less. Though anyone that has the money to buy a lathe like that just to make a single vessel sink probably doesn't need to get their cash back out immediately and could wait for a good offer.

Jenny, that lathe is a reliable workhorse, as you've probably learned in your research. One of our local clubs uses one for its demos. The CL seller is asking too much, though, IMO. The current U.S. tariff on new lathes made in China has driven the asking prices of used machinery up as well, but I would still think $1,800 to $1,900 would be the range for fair market value. That's assuming it's in the good condition described.

Keep in mind that the A is the earliest generation of the PM3520 series, so hasn't been in production for a few years. In the meantime, there are other lathes manufactured in China that have much improved in quality control and become quite competitive with the PM3520 series.

Since you already have a very nice lathe in the Jet 1642EVS, there is one feature lacking in the PM3520A that you've probably become accustomed to having: there is no tachometer. So, no display showing an rpm readout. Some turners don't care, some care a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Keep in mind that the A is the earliest generation of the PM3520 series, so hasn't been in production for a few years. In the meantime, there are other lathes manufactured in China that have much improved in quality control and become quite competitive with the PM3520 series.
    In my haste I didn't catch that it was a 3520A and not a B. I agree the asking price is too high for the A, even at almost new.

JKJ

John, do you turn bowls on the 1640? It looks like you can turn up to a 32" bowl (if I read the specs right). Does the head swivel, or just slide?

I was thinking of getting the PM 3520c, but considering the cost difference, the Jet looks mighty attractive.

I was in the same boat a few months ago with a used 3520A for sale for similar price. After a lot of thought I ended up buying a new Laguna 2436 during one of their 10% sales for a little more.

I wanted a few features not on the 3520A (RPM readout, second switch) in addition to concerns of used vs new. I also felt like the size of the Laguna would ensure that I’d never want a bigger lathe. So far I’m very happy with it, FWIW.

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    John, do you turn bowls on the 1640? It looks like you can turn up to a 32" bowl (if I read the specs right). Does the head swivel, or just slide?

I was thinking of getting the PM 3520c, but considering the cost difference, the Jet looks mighty attractive.
    I've never seen a Jet 1640 but I have the older 1642 lathes. I've turned bowls up to almost 16" on the Jet 1642. The heads of both the Jet and the PM3520 don't swivel but slide but I've heard the 1640 head will swivel. You can slide either head all the way down to the end and turn a larger diameter but you have to come up with some kind of tool rest. The bed extension for the PM can be used to hold the banjo and tool rest but it's only 18" so the working room for a large bowl would be limited.

I don't think the Jet 1640 or 1642 would be practical for very large bowls - the 1642 simply doesn't feel sturdy enough and I suspect the 1640 is similar. Even the much heavier 3520 lathes have to be bolted down or heavily weighted to handle very large off-balance blanks. Most everything about the Jet is lighter in weigh and strength which would make handling and turning a large bowl blank challenging. (A 32" dia wet cherry blank 12" thick can weigh almost 300 lbs!) I've known very big bowl turners who use much stouter lathes designed for large blanks. A few years ago I visited Lissi Oland and her custom lathe is massive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMEJ7rirso

I rarely turn large bowls anymore - I have more fun and more challenge turning smaller things and the Jets and PMs are perfect for those.

JKJ

Sorry John, I got the models mixed up.

Have you seen Virgil Leih's work? https://www.virgiltreeart.com/
    I met him at an art fair and he's a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Have you seen Virgil Leih's work? https://www.virgiltreeart.com/
    I met him at an art fair and he's a great guy.
    No, I've never heard of him or saw those pieces. I've also never seen wood with figure that still stands out strongly over a 6' high ​piece.

I'm glad that Bill posted the link to Virgil Leih. I see that there are a few youtube videos on him. At first I was a little surprised seeing him use a chainsaw for roughing but I doubt that I'd want a couple thousand pounds of out-of-balance wood spinning at 1000 rpms.