Thread: Dust Collection Setup Questions

Dust Collection Setup Questions

I'm installing a dust collection system in my basement shop. I'm using the D-2729 thin wall Sewer drain PVC pipe. I have a 6" header and most drops will be 4" PVC with a short 4" flex hose at the tools.

1) I got sticker shock when I asked at Rockler how to connect a 4" flex hose to the end of a 4" PVC drop. They had a 2 piece method with the first piece using a rubber boot to fit over the PVC and a clamp to hold it. Then a second piece fit into the other end of the first piece and then the flex hose was clamped onto that. Altogether with clamps it was about $30 a drop. Any cheaper suggestions?

2) I've read not to be too concerned with static electricity from a safety view point but I also don't want to get shocked every time I touch a tool so I intend to run a ground wire with the PVC and ground it with a clamp to a water pipe. I've heard the static buildup occurs inside the pipe so I'm thinking about running my ground wire through the header (inside) and pop out wherever I have a drop so I could connect to the wire internal to the flex hose. The other end of the flex hose would get grounded to the tool. Any suggestions?

3) I have a Dustbuster XL mounted on a shelf right over a trash can with a 6" flex hose coming off the bottom of the shelf to the top of the trash can. I'm thinking of making the lid of the trash can out of wood. I would have to put some kind of seal around the edge of this lid. Will a standard $30 metal trash can hold up to the vacuum? Any suggestions?

4) Any suggestions how to dust collect on a chop saw?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boddy View Post
    1) I got sticker shock when I asked at Rockler how to connect a 4" flex hose to the end of a 4" PVC drop.
    I went with HVAC ducting, which just works so I can't recommend an exact solution. However, what I have found is that going to the stores with the piece in hand (or a short section) and trying things is the best approach. You can also make holes exactly the right size with a hole cutting tool. This means that you could glue together some plywood to make and adapter, and cut holes the size you need on either side.

3) I have a Dustbuster XL mounted on a shelf right over a trash can with a 6" flex hose coming off the bottom of the shelf to the top of the trash can. I'm thinking of making the lid of the trash can out of wood. I would have to put some kind of seal around the edge of this lid. Will a standard $30 metal trash can hold up to the vacuum? Any suggestions?
    I believe so, assuming it's appropiately ribbed. I'm using 26 guage sheet metal HVAC ducting, and no problems with my 1 1/2 HP DC, though YMMV. If it IS a problem you could probably re enforce the top with some strips of scrap wood.

4) Any suggestions how to dust collect on a chop saw?
    No good ones, no. I've built the same box everybody else does, and it's okay, but often times falls short because I've got a blade moving at 100 mph, and the best the DC can do is 40 mph, assuming I could put it right next to the blade. Generally the solutions are a box, or to increase the capabilities of the scoop behind the blade. I'd suggest doing both.

Here's my box.
    IMG_20190222_221921.jpg

There's a connection to the DC in the back of the box.
    IMG_20190222_221928.jpg

1) Clearvue makes flex hose adapters for 6” and 4” S&D pipe. $10/$8 respectively.

2) I’m installing my CV1800 and don’t plan to ground it. If it’s a problem I might do it later.

3) I don’t know about the dust hater thing, but Clearvue has recommendations on bins. Can make your own too.

4) lots out there on the web about it.

Blog Entries
    I have a Dustbuster XL mounted on a shelf right over a trash can with a 6" flex hose coming off the bottom of the shelf to the top of the trash can. I'm thinking of making the lid of the trash can out of wood. I would have to put some kind of seal around the edge of this lid. Will a standard $30 metal trash can hold up to the vacuum? Any suggestions?
    You'll get a lot better dust separation with a cyclone (Dust Deputy or similar) that with any of the trashcan lid separators or even with a Thien separator.

Regarding connecting flex to SDR, here's what I do. Not my idea, pretty sure I picked it up here at some point. Cut a short piece (about 4 inches) of 4" pipe. Mark a line along the length of the pipe and another parallel line about 1 1/8 away (measuring along the circumference of the pipe). Using a jig saw, cut out the 1 1/8 wide piece between the two lines. Squeeze the pipe back together and apply a piece of foil tape to seal the cut and hold the ends together (takes three hands). This will now slide into the 4" SDR and the hose will fit over it. Done. Cost: maybe a buck and a few minutes of your time. The 1 1/8 is approximate, you may have to go a bit bigger or smaller depending on the exact dimensions of your pipe. Same thing works for 6" pipe, but the size of the cutout piece is different. Basically you are converting 4" ID pipe to 4" OD pipe.

For hose couplers I've modified a standard PVC coupling, when the hose is an appropriate size, by cutting a spiral groove to match the pitch of the hose wire using a rotary tool with a burr. Careful marking is important, and be aware that some hose is LH thread and some is RH thread. Check several times to make sure you get it right (or left)!

FourInchThreadedHoseAdapter.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.