Thread: MiniMax fs 350 cutter head Removal

MiniMax fs 350 cutter head Removal

Hey all. I recently picked up a used MiniMax fs 350, machine in great condition. Looking at putting a Shelix head in it. Anyone have experience removing the old head out of this machine, and if so, can you share any insight? The current head is for regular straight knives. I've searched the forum and no luck. Thanks for any help!!

I have a yellow FS35 from the mid 80's. I removed the cutterhead and most everything else to get it down into my basement shop. The cutterhead and tables are held to the frame with machine screws that were potted in epoxy or thread locker and were very difficult to break free. I was sweating bullets hoping they wouldn't break. Fortunately, they all came out OK, but if yours was assembled like mine be very careful removing those screws.

John

Thanks. Does the spindle feed assembly need to be removed on the belt side, or both sides to get the head out?

I don't know what the spindle feed assembly is, but I don't remember having to removing anything other than the drive belt to remove the cutterhead.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I don't know what the spindle feed assembly is, but I don't remember having to removing anything other than the drive belt to remove the cutterhead.

John

John,

On mine there is a metal housing on each side of the JP, and is bolted to the frame. The bearing sits inside each housing and cutter head shaft goes through each. Seems like the housing would have to come off since there is no movement of the head from side to side. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Strength View Post
    John,

On mine there is a metal housing on each side of the JP, and is bolted to the frame. The bearing sits inside each housing and cutter head shaft goes through each. Seems like the housing would have to come off since there is no movement of the head from side to side. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
    I think what you are describing are the bearing blocks that the cutterhead bearings are pressed into. I removed the bearing blocks and cutterhead as a unit and I believe you will have to do the same if you want to replace the cutterhead with a new one.

John

Thanks John. That's what I was afraid of as everything else up top is connected to those blocks as well. Was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Looks like the beds will have to come off too.