Thread: Die Grinder Recomendations

Die Grinder Recomendations

What is a solid die grinder(electric, please, i only have a small compressor) that would be acceptable for a maloof rocker and future lowbacks? Not looking to break the bank on a somewhat specialized thing, but i realize its going to be in my hands for a couple hours, so something that gets hot enough to burn your hands or vibrates excessively should probably be avoided. I was thinking the 1/4" makita or dewalt around $100.

What are you carving? Details or the seat?
    For details, if you have a 4" grinder, Arbortech does sell a ball attachment that runs less than 100 bucks. For the seat grinding/carving, again if you have a 4" grinder there are a few tungsten discs that you could buy. Arbortech makes a disc that's a bit out of your price range. The Arbortech toys, er, I mean tools work really well.
    A separate die grinder less than 100 bucks, although really small, Dremel comes to mind. Don't laugh, I used mine more than I care to admit. I did buy a Foredom router/carver, and my Dremel does lay idle now. That is well out of your price range. But, I think a worthy stretch of your budget.

I bought a HF and it was terrible and got hot quickly. The DeWalt that I bought was great and used a Kutzall burr with it shaping a rocking chair.

Sorry, yes, im looking for much smaller tooling for doing the detail work of the arms and legs. I have a 4.5" angle grinder with a holey galahad disc for the seat and bulk carving. I got really lucky on the fine disc and bought one for $20-23 a couple weeks ago. I think that disc is closer to $80 retail. I have the woodwhisper's guild videos for the project, and it looks like he uses the die grinder more than the angle grinder.

Larry, for a minute i considered the HF die grinder. It would be my first tool purchase from there, and then i read a few people saying how hot the thing got! haha always trust your gut instinct.

I use a Makita die grinder for hollowing spoon bowls. I started with the big Makita, but, it was awkward to use. I got the Makita compact die grinder(GD0603). It works really well. It was around $110.00. Hope that this

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I use a Makita die grinder for hollowing spoon bowls. I started with the big Makita, but, it was awkward to use. I got the Makita compact die grinder(GD0603). It works really well. It was around $110.00. Hope that this

I also use makita electric die grinder but the model is GD0601,it works great !

Makita GD0601 Electric Die Grinder