Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper v. Router table

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    What is the benefit of having a well equipped router table versus an entry level shaper with a router collet. Seems like you can do a lot more with a shaper.

A brand name router, table, lift, etc.. (woodpecker for example) appears to cost whole a lot more than buying an entry level shaper new or a heftier used machine. I realize shaper tooling is expensive, but what if you were going to use it mostly with the router collet and bits? Seems like a no brainer, what am I missing? Ease of use?

Realize that I have owned neither. I have a 1980’s craftsman router table that is crazy, loud, not the most accurate, and scary at times. But I get by as a hobbyist.

If if I was to upgrade, why go better router rather than a nice heavy old shaper, with a cast iron table, cabinet, and better motor, with appropriate router capabilities? For furniture and small item building? Thanks
    What are you going to do with the machine? The use would dictate the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Where are you guys finding used feeders inexpensively!??! I want a spare for my PM72, and id even like to give a feeder a go on my 20" jointer. For the life of me, i cant find a used single phase feeder within 3-4 hours. My only opportunities are 1/2 hp units attached to the ubiquitous 3hp shaper, and the guy never wants to split up the package.

I kinda pulled $3,000 out of the air. Yes, i routinely see 3hp delta shapers with a 1/4-1/2 hp feeder for sale in the $1500-1800 range. So add in a couple hundred for some tooling and you are up and running for $2,000. My opinion--right or wrong--is to not go the 3hp taiwan import shaper. Im sure they are fine, but if you are going to have one machine and you are comfortable buying used already, then i would go right to something 5hp. At that weight class you get a high quality machine with a tilting spindle(i dont think the 3hp imports tilt), and you might even get lucky with getting a sliding table like Jared.
    Patrick
    $3000.00 is not a bad number. I don't think the whole country is as "used tool rich" as the area Jared is in. Those are some amazing deals!! The OP is in Hawaii, which is probably going to be very restrictive for used tool availability.
    My initial outlay was a maybe a little high, but I bought my shaper, Delta 43-375, from Todd Davidson here on the forum. It came with everything though, except the power feeder. For $1200.00 I literally could start making cabinets, and interior doors, the moment I got it home, with no other investment required. Mount the cutters, turn it on and start feeding material. Each deal will be different.

Jared
    What are you doing with all of those power feeders and shapers? That Bridgewood was quite the machine in it's day!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post

Jared
    What are you doing with all of those power feeders and shapers? That Bridgewood was quite the machine in it's day!
    Millwork mostly. Feeders for the shapers table saw, bandsaw and I'm still short one dedicated to a jointer.

First the people saying that it depends on what you're doing are obviously right - and so are those who say a shaper without a power feeder is a fish without water.

That said, I just sold my shaper (1990s Delta/Grizzly model with everything) and am buying a sliding router table. The reason is that the main job is done - I have my moulding and edging all done; I used it to make my own tonque and groove boards for the laundry room (try that with a router!) and to mortise/tendon (or tongue and grove actually) the baltic birch panels used in the guest room. The remaining work is much lighter and less repetitive. All of if could have been done on the shaper, but it takes much longer to set-up and if you're doing 90 pieces that's ok because the throughput is so much greater, but on ones and twoeses, it doesn't make sense.

Blog Entries
    Lots of good info and discussion here. Thank you.

this is what I have now. For perspective
    90A01CD6-FEAA-430A-8269-7E0E97A440E7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    Lots of good info and discussion here. Thank you.

this is what I have now. For perspective
    90A01CD6-FEAA-430A-8269-7E0E97A440E7.jpg

I started out with something very similar, the benchtop router table by bosch. I think you would find a better quality router table by incra/jessem/homemade with a lift and fence to be night and day different to what you have. A good lift and fence are pricey, but they allow you to dial in your settings accurately and with ease.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Where are you guys finding used feeders inexpensively!??! I want a spare for my PM72, and id even like to give a feeder a go on my 20" jointer. For the life of me, i cant find a used single phase feeder within 3-4 hours. My only opportunities are 1/2 hp units attached to the ubiquitous 3hp shaper, and the guy never wants to split up the package.

I kinda pulled $3,000 out of the air. Yes, i routinely see 3hp delta shapers with a 1/4-1/2 hp feeder for sale in the $1500-1800 range. So add in a couple hundred for some tooling and you are up and running for $2,000. My opinion--right or wrong--is to not go the 3hp taiwan import shaper. Im sure they are fine, but if you are going to have one machine and you are comfortable buying used already, then i would go right to something 5hp. At that weight class you get a high quality machine with a tilting spindle(i dont think the 3hp imports tilt), and you might even get lucky with getting a sliding table like Jared.
    Im assuming you were the one that beat me to this one..

I picked up a Unitronix double spindle for $750 with a Univer feeder, 3600 pounds of shaping pleasure. Have a router table somewhere, have not used it in years.