Thread: Problem with Dozuki

Problem with Dozuki

Hey All,

I took down a very nice Dozuki I bought through Japan Woodworker of Australia - or whatever the site was. I have owned it for a few years, however I hadn't used it. I tried this weekend, butI have a problem with the saw, the blade will not stay in the handle. I am not sure, but iirc I received the saw this way.

This saw has a steel insert in the groove made in the handle. The end of the saw is cut with a small tenon that slides in beside this steel insert. The steel insert is approximately 8 - 10 mm wide. The top has a flange that bends to 90 degrees and that sits on the oval end of the handle. I have never seen this design, and although I have three or four nice Dozuki, this is the only one with this method of attachment. I cannot figure out how to improve the grip on the tenon of the blade. The blade is a nicely made Dozuki, but I can't use it because I can't figure out how to make the blade stay put in the handle. It almost seems like there should be a wedge that fits beside the blade.

Anyone have a similar saw? Have any suggestions. It seems like it is by design, and I just don't understand how it works.

TIA

Joe

How about a photo?

Have you considered (1) epoxy, (2) making a handle?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a similar fixture on my largest Ryoba.

Mine is held in with a shim made of aluminum gutter flashing.

Derek - thanks for the ideas, but this handle is designed to be removable. the blade will outlast the handle.

Jim - it sounds like you have the answer. I am slightly skeptical that the Ryoba you have came with a piece of gutter material to use as a shim, so I guess it is up to the end user to provide a shim of some sort. That is a very odd arrangement. I will find something to use as a wedge, but this one is a bit of a head scratcher. A little more than a cultural difference here. Is there an understanding that this method will require a shim?

Thanks gentlemen, your help is really appreciated.

Joe

Mine was loose, with the stock "wedge" tapped in place.

Backed with some steel cut from a roll of flashing, it's snug.
    I suppose it could be done with sufficiently coarse sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Derek - thanks for the ideas, but this handle is designed to be removable. the blade will outlast the handle.
    This seems strange to me. My dozuki handle has a threaded fastener to hold it in place. In my case the handle has outlasted the blade. This was purchased at Hida Tool store on San Pablo Av in Berkeley, CA. So was the replacement blade and two other saws.

The Dozuki was used on a recent deck building project.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)