Thread: grizzly G0441 user feedback

grizzly G0441 user feedback

Good morning,
    I found a g0441 with spiral pipe and some blast gates for $900. I have been second guessing myself and would like any feedback about experience with this cyclone. Does it do a good job seperating? I plan to vent outside
    Mike

Yeah, id probably go buy that thing immediately. That is a good deal verging on a fantastic one depending on how much pipe and fittings you get. There might be $1000+ of pipe and fittings there, that unless you have purchased or priced this stuff out, you wouldnt know about. Good quality spiral pipe is expensive. More so, long sweep 90° and the like can be very expensive.

I have the 3hp cyclone by grizzly. I forget if its the GO441 or the GO440. At the time, i got realy lucky and bought it brand new in box off craigslist for a great deal. For me, the cyclone is perfect because it can be installed in a room with a lower ceiling height. The clearvue and oneida need 96"+. I only have 93" to bottom of joist. Overall, i think the Dc performs really well. Im probably 5-6 years of ownership at this point. I can tell you parts of the body and impeller housing have tiny leaks. After this much time and sawdust, there are little telltales signs of very fine wanut/sapele powder at points of connection. You wont have this issue venting outside, but i think the exhaust/filter design is kinda crap. Its 8" flexhose that connections to a proprietary filter housing. That leaked fines no matter how much i taped and caulked the connections. I have since ditched the original filter and gone with a homemade phelum box with a wynn filter. Its better, but not perfect. My empirical findings on separation are very good. I used to drum sand a TON. I would level big tops for restaurant tables and such. Hours and hours of removing stock with 40/60 grit paper on a supermax 37x2. I would end up with a filter that needed cleaning 2-3 times a year, and drums full of nothing but wood flour. It was really odd to have 35 gallons of just flour. is the separation as good as the CV or Oneida? No clue. In your case, it doesnt matter. That used machine sounds like a great deal, and with venting outside, i think you are avoiding all of its major shortcomings.

Blog Entries
    In a heartbeat. I've been running a G0440 for over 10 years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Run ,dont walk. Yeah buy that baby quick. I have a GO442 for about 4 years now,works real good,the separation is very good as well. The spiral pipe and fittings really add up,when I figured out my system the cyclone itself was about one half of the cost. I have since rearranged and completed my duct system and now my ducting,blast gates,hose etc are probably 2/3 of the cost of the system.

Yeah, DC systems are like shapers, you dont initially realize the machine itself is the least expensive portion of the whole. I dont have anything extensive, and i think im in to my layout for $2,000 between the straight pipe, fittings, blast gates, and flexhose. I mean, i think i have hundreds of dollars in just flexhose. 6" stuff is pretty expensive.

One more note on separation to the OP, try to run down the magazine that did a cyclone shootout years ago. The Grizzly performed pretty well, and might have been top pick. CV fans were butthurt over the whole thing, because it didnt perform as well. Everyone claims it is because it wasnt assembled correctly. That isnt said to bash CV, just that there is some documentation out there concerning Grizzly's lineup. From a paper standpoint, they have the neutral vane, tall cone, and air ramp at the intake that are all supposed to lead to excellent separation.

Thanks for the feedback.I almost backtracked but feel much better. Some of the pipe is junk but it looks like a good bit of usable spiral/flex and various fittings. it's a bit overkill for me but i I figure i won't have to upgrade in the future. the actual collector looks almost new

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mercado View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.I almost backtracked but feel much better. Some of the pipe is junk but it looks like a good bit of usable spiral/flex and various fittings. it's a bit overkill for me but i I figure i won't have to upgrade in the future. the actual collector looks almost new
    If anyone was sorry they bought more DC than they needed, I haven't heard from them yet ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If anyone was sorry they bought more DC than they needed, I haven't heard from them yet ;-)
    Would they actually admit it? I seldom hear anybody make comments about too much anything, other than maybe table saw fence rail.