Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine Woodworking magazine - are they worth anything

Fine Woodworking magazine - are they worth anything

I have every issue from #1 up to #200 or so, when I stopped my subscription.
    I need to get rid of them but not sure if they have any value or are just dust collectors.
    I think maybe the internet has devalued them. What's your opinion?

Hi Dennis,

I share your "dust collector" problem! I took mine to a thrift store (it took a few stops before I found one that would even take them) got a receipt and took a tax deduction of 1$ each for a huge lot of FWW and Shop Smith mags. It's not cash in hand but pretty close.

Regards,

Tim

Blog Entries
    To me they are a valuable reference source.

A few years back their all issues on a CD was purchased. It doesn't work now that my computer has been upgraded. The paper copies still work.

The value has gone down for many due to the internet. My collection is not complete, but my storage space is fairly limited, so it won't be growing very much.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I conned my son into taking all of mine. He threw them out a couple of years later.

I used to love the online subscription, but they have made it very hard to read the magazine on line unless you buy the all access subscription. I cancelled mine.

Looking at EBay, the first couple of years at least have some value. The most recent sale of issue #1 was for $11.

Every issue has ads selling all the back issues. As I recall they are asking about a buck a copy for complete sets.

I enjoy looking back at the old ones, so my kids will probably toss them in the dumpster rather than selling them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Every issue has ads selling all the back issues. As I recall they are asking about a buck a copy for complete sets.

I enjoy looking back at the old ones, so my kids will probably toss them in the dumpster rather than selling them.
    Maybe you could convince them to at least take them to recycling.

In my old area one of the recyclers had a book & magazine exchange where people were able to leave old books and magazines. If no one wanted them after a few weeks they would then be recycled.

Of course, that was close to Berkeley, CA. Not to likely any other recycling centers have such a system.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Now Free for pickup only

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe you could convince them to at least take them to recycling.

In my old area one of the recyclers had a book & magazine exchange where people were able to leave old books and magazines. If no one wanted them after a few weeks they would then be recycled.

Of course, that wsas close to Berkeley, CA. Not to likely any other recycling centers have such a system.

jtk
    Anyone living in S.E. Michigan and wants to pick them up can have them. Only stipulation is if you take one you have to take them all. Hopefully I don't have to just dispose of them.

Blog Entries
    Donate to a local public library if they will take them.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...l9zcmMiOiIxIn0
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-10-2019 at 4:58 PM.

I gave my complete set to a school. I suspect the kids will steal the valuable issues (early issues) and sell them on eBay but I had to get rid of them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'll pick them up next week or this weekend if you're still serious.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Let me know if you still need them picked up Dennis.

Thanks
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

They are yours, contact me so we can make arrangements.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis davidson View Post
    They are yours, contact me so we can make arrangements.
    David is not a Contributor. He may not have PM privileges. You two may have to figure out another way to arrange contact with each other.

Or David could pay the $6 fee to become a Contributor and then PM you.

jtk