Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to northern/central Ohio, Indiana also-tool/rust hunt??

Trip to northern/central Ohio, Indiana also-tool/rust hunt??

Sorry to bother you guys but I posted earlier here on SMC a request for tool/rust ideas for Pennsylvania,,Simple thought hit me why not include central/northern Indiana and Ohio where i will also be driving this trip...Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated and used....
    My spouse sometimes gets a questioning look on her face when I explain my latest pursuit but she generally understands...
    Of course, there are family/friend stops along the way.....THANKS in advance.....The never ending pursuit of valuable tools hidden under the rust continues. Someday I'll grow up. Only jesting.
    Jerry

If driving over on I-70...and come up to Springfield, OH east side has Heart of Ohio....it will take you all day to walk through it...plus a few others in town...

Just beyond Richman, IN, on Rt 40.....Westerville has a bunch of stores, and a Mall of anitques.....and a very good place to eat, called Lil' Sheba's....

What in the world are "tool/rust" ideas? Tool/rust?

If you get near Millersburg (in Amish country) stop by Colonial Homestead Woodworking. Wonderful place for old tools. Keim lumber doesn't deal in used tools, but has a great selection new tools and a pretty good selection of exotic lumber as well. Plenty of antique shops in the general area too.

Driving in the Millersburg area can be a challenge. The roads are two lanes at best, twisty and hilly, and there is a mix of horse drawn Amish buggies, huge logging trucks, and slow moving farm equipment of all types.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    If you get near Millersburg (in Amish country) stop by Colonial Homestead Woodworking. Wonderful place for old tools. Keim lumber doesn't deal in used tools, but has a great selection new tools and a pretty good selection of exotic lumber as well. Plenty of antique shops in the general area too.

Driving in the Millersburg area can be a challenge. The roads are two lanes at best, twisty and hilly, and there is a mix of horse drawn Amish buggies, huge logging trucks, and slow moving farm equipment of all types.
    There is also Yoder Lumber / Sawmill in thr Millersburg area.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    What in the world are "tool/rust" ideas? Tool/rust?
    Tony, I mean old vintage tools that may or may not need to be restored/cleaned.....Rust is what is usually found in those type tools...Thanks
    Jerry

Good tips all!!! Trip still evolving but I will use these...Thank you all.
    Jerry

Try Colonial Homestead in Millersburg, OH. It's right downtown. Unbelievable selection of vintage stuff. Hundreds of planes, hundreds of chisels, dozens and dozens of saws. Everything from user grade to collectible. The selection was overwhelming.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Sounds like Millersburg is a MUST stop....Thanks Rob.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Sounds like Millersburg is a MUST stop....Thanks Rob.

As others have said,
    https://eaiainfo.org/2019/06/02/colonial-homestead-a-midwest-tool-mecca

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

WOW Dave!!!! That looks like a MUST see, worthwhile stop ....thank you...
    I used to live in Columbus, Ohio but wasn't aware of this treasure then or now..THANKS again.
    Jerry

Chris Schwarz recently wrote an LAP blog entry about Millersburg. There is a new w/w school there also. Check the Lost Art Press blog.

I'll be in central Ohio myself this week, but a little further south, in the Hocking Hills area. Any suggestions on good places to look around there? Thanks in advance for any tips.

About an hour north from HH is WoodWerks supply. The main branch is a bit east of Columbus. It's a decent woodworking supply place with new tools, machinery, and lumber. That's the only thing I can think of in that general area.....

I Have bought several items from Woodwerks when I lived nearby...Good retail store with decent selection..Used to be a Rockler and Woodcraft in town also...
    Many opportunities to BUY!!!!
    Jerry