Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Craftsman at Lowe's and Ace

The fact that "Craftsman" is prominently displayed on the tool or side of the box implies exactly nothing with regard to design, quality or durability. It is just a name that has been passed around from company to company. Towards the end, the quality of Sears stuff dropped off severely. I am not sure the brand has recovered from that yet. The brand may be first class now but I plan on waiting and seeing before equating them with brand name tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The fact that "Craftsman" is prominently displayed on the tool or side of the box implies exactly nothing with regard to design, quality or durability. It is just a name that has been passed around from company to company. Towards the end, the quality of Sears stuff dropped off severely. I am not sure the brand has recovered from that yet. The brand may be first class now but I plan on waiting and seeing before equating them with brand name tools.
    The Craftsman brand has had exactly two owners so it hasn't exactly been passed from company to company.

Now, it is true that hundreds of different companies have made tools with the Craftsman logo on them. Sears never made a Craftsman tool themselves. Craftsman was just a brand name for them.

Blog Entries
    Craftsman tools were not the sexiest tools in the box, but they were dependable and easy to replace if something went wrong.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Craftsman brand has been sold in several stores in recent years with Lowes just being the latest. Sears used to own the name and were the exclusive sellers. The name implied something good about the tool that carried it. In view of current circumstances, I don't see why anyone would assume that "Craftsman" means anything until the brand proves itself. The brand is apparently slowly replacing the "Kobalt" brand, which I respected to some degree. If I were in Lowes, I would select Kobalt over Craftsman hand tools until they establish a history. I wouldn't buy power tools of eithr brand. I did buy a Crafdtsman brand lawn mower. It was exactly the same as the Troybilt brand I already owned in every way. I know because I used salvaged parts from the old machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The Craftsman brand has had exactly two owners so it hasn't exactly been passed from company to company.

Now, it is true that hundreds of different companies have made tools with the Craftsman logo on them. Sears never made a Craftsman tool themselves. Craftsman was just a brand name for them.

Blog Entries
    Your correct, Where.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Back in the early 50's my Dad bought a washing machine from Sears that never worked, and they wouldn't repair it, and etc etc. So my Dad loaded it on the back of his pick up and backed up to the doors of the Sears store and pushed it off and thru the doors. (good thing he played golf with the Police Chief) From then on Sears was his go to term for anything that was a POS. Where'd ya buy that - Sears? Where did ya hear that - Sears? Who cooked this - Sears? Who cut your lawn - Sears? I remember my sister brought a guy home for the first time in high school. First thing my Dad asked him was You don't work at Sears do ya? Got to be quite the family joke. (wow - just writing this - I miss him)
    I have to say Bill - your post made me laugh out load.
    Regards,

Kris

For me, and I am guessing for many others the demise of Sears and Craftsman are an unfortunate representation of what has happened to the America we used to know...
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    For me, and I am guessing for many others the demise of Sears and Craftsman are an unfortunate representation of what has happened to the America we used to know...
    Yeap, everyone wanted something cheaper. The big retailers told the manufacturers who then started making everything cheaper. After continued repeating of this cycle some manufacturing had to move overseas to make things even cheaper. This caused other manufacturers to follow.

The highway into this mess seems to have no off ramp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    If Stanley thought Craftsman wasn't a good brand name they would not have paid hundreds of million for it. Stanley is currently building a new factory that is supposed to bring some production back to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If Stanley thought Craftsman wasn't a good brand name they would not have paid hundreds of million for it. Stanley is currently building a new factory that is supposed to bring some production back to the USA.

Stanley is closing down their tool box factory in southwest Ohio.

https://www.ripleybee.com/2019/07/11...lant-to-close/
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-30-2019 at 4:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale