Thread: A couple tools for the bench

A couple tools for the bench

Putzing around in the shop this weekend to beat the heat. A couple of cell phone pics.

I made this marking gauge from scraps. Flame maple beam, spalted maple fence, walnut wedge. Finish is Danish Oil and wax. The cutter is a HSS tool bit from a metal lathe. It took a great edge! Plenty of length so I need to cut it in half and make a spare.

48235527061_f75a965580_k.jpg 48235603642_50cd96337e_k.jpg

I work in the door/window industry and we were working on a glass shower door project. One of my hardware guys brought in a bunch of door handle samples and this one looked like a hammer. 24oz of polished stainless steel. It operates much like a Glen Drake Tite-Hammer with a choked up grip. The concave features offer a natural location for thumb and forefinger and the domed head works well on chisels. It's a "tap tap" kind of hammer as opposed to a basher. There's enough mass to drive a chisel without having to strike it hard. Handle is Indiana Ebony aka Maple with India ink and a couple coats of satin poly from a rattle can. It feels great in the hand and works well with my bench chisels.

48235805522_144e63c646_k.jpg
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 07-08-2019 at 6:24 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Very, very nice Rob. I especially like the hammer, it is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.

Lovely couple of additions to the bench, nothing like using tools you made for yourself!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Well done Rob. I know you love the QS oak, but the maple scraps turned into a very nice gauge!

That's a very nice gauge!
    Wish I knew the manufacturer of that door handle - I'd enjoy making a little hammer like yours.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's a very nice gauge!
    Wish I knew the manufacturer of that door handle - I'd enjoy making a little hammer like yours.
    Fred
    I’ll see if I can find out. Perhaps I can acquire a couple more free samples.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.