Thread: hinges for outdoor benches

hinges for outdoor benches

I am building benches with lift-up seats and storage beneath them into my deck. The bench seat will be a 2x12, so they will need to be fairly stout, but I'd prefer to not have the knuckle sticking up too far. They will also need to be corrosion resistant (stainless steel?), and since I need quite a few I'd prefer something fairly inexpensive. Thoughts?

Solid brass are rated for exterior doors, so that would be my staring point.

Tractor Supply has a better selection of outdoor hinges then the box stores.
    Bil lD

Depending upon exactly what you're trying to do, knuckle hinges may not need to stick up above the seat surface. You can set the hinge flush with the seat surface if you relieve the parts being joined. Here's a cross section through such an installation:

recessedknuckle.png

The pink stuff is wood. The brown stuff is the end view of a knuckle hinge. This hinge top is set flush with the seat top. Notice the relief to the sides of the knuckles. You may or may not need the chamfers depending on how far you intend to open the seat. You could also use the same approach to set the knuckles part way into the seat, but not all the way flush.

You might also want to consider what holds the seat up in the air when you open it. Of course, you can hold it with one hand while you rummage below with the other. But it is more convenient if the seat will stay up without help. Boating supply outfits have water-resistant hardware which can do this. Here's a kind I've used in garden furniture -- https://www.amazon.com/Five-Oceans-S...QRM00HY6FWV10Q Yes it looks like a spring, but it is a lid support. The spring really wants to be straight. That's the open position for the seat. But you can punch the middle of the spring sideways, and it collapses. That's the closed position for the seat.

I'd consider a stainless steel piano hinge-- knuckle protrusion would be minimal to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    I'd consider a stainless steel piano hinge-- knuckle protrusion would be minimal to none.
    I thought about this but could not find them in the length I need. Maybe I was not looking in the right place.

The common piano hinges are supplied with teensy little screws - #4 by 1/2” - and the leaves are made of metal thinner than a credit card. That’s not strong enough for this bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I thought about this but could not find them in the length I need. Maybe I was not looking in the right place.
    Try McMaster-Carr

(Lengths up to 8 feet, leaf thickness up to .09 in., screw sizes up to #10)

I assume you live near the ocean so rust will be an issue,. The cheapest and easiest would be to use galvanised chain. lag bolted to the inside of the box and the underside of the seat. You can even find stainless chain.
    Bil lD