Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding Table - Which One?

Question Folding Table - Which One?

Looking for some feedback and input on folding tables like the Festool MFT and Kreg Adaptive System. I would be using this for occasional cuts using my Makita track saw, but on a more regular basis as my sanding surface for my Festool sander/vac and as an assembly/clamping table. i need easy fold up so it can move out of the way when not in use if needed.

Thanks for for helping me decide which table might work best for me.

I love my MFT. I struggled with the decision whether to order it or not when purchasing a few Festool tools. It is the one tool I use on every project. It is extremely versatile for holding, clamping, gluing, cutting, etc.

i never used or owned the Kreg system so can not comment on it.

3. I use the MFT every day and as stated there just so many ways to use it for clamping and holding things. It gets used for sanding, the Domino, cutting and some routing. For me it's not that great a surface for assembly unless it is something quite small, there just isn't that much room on the surface and I find the the near side track support in the way. For everything else it is golden.

While I don't use it often, I love my MFT, too. In fact, I plan on a new bench top for my primary bench that is based on the same 96mm grid system and am working on a design for a luthery specific bench that will also leverage the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Looking for some feedback and input on folding tables like the Festool MFT and Kreg Adaptive System. I would be using this for occasional cuts using my Makita track saw, but on a more regular basis as my sanding surface for my Festool sander/vac and as an assembly/clamping table. i need easy fold up so it can move out of the way when not in use if needed.

Thanks for for helping me decide which table might work best for me.
    I like the Bora Centipede constructions. Do they have all kinds of "machine accommodations"? No. But they are immensely storable, and only need some plywood to flower to full usefulness. Base for a track saw? Check. Assembly table? Hell yeah. It's like somebody pulled a hole out of their pocket and dropped Wile Coyote through it. Good stuff.

I have a couple of the Centipede units and they are indeed quite handy, albeit very wiggly until you get something on top of them. I use them for incidental auxiliary work surfaces, but not "hard work" as they are not as stable as an MFT or workbench. They were a good buy at about $35 each from Lowes on sale awhile ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys.

Anyone ever used the Armor tables? They don’t fold but they do roll and have a butcher block top with dog holes for clamping and whatnot. Probably not the best for a track saw but I could use a sacrificial top for cutting as needed. Little cheaper but I don’t know if they would really compare.

Just an update. I ended up deciding on one of the Armor tables. Doesn’t fold but it rolls easily. Will serve as clamping, sanding, sharpening, etc table. They had a pretty good sale on the Armor website. I’m planning to put a shelf in to store my Tormek and Grinder on so they can be pulled out to sharpen as needed.

May ya still end up with a Festool table one day for the tracksaw but for now I’m going to give this one a try. Think I can keep a scrap of MDF or something handy to throw on top when I use the tracksaw. Just won’t have the miter feature of the Festool/Kreg tables.

DDD5BBC1-B638-4690-B0FE-D92AECACB3E6.jpg

15E2734C-038A-4AB2-8E44-38E308257E87.jpg

Just an update. I ended up deciding on one of the Armor tables. Doesn’t fold but it rolls easily. Will serve as clamping, sanding, sharpening, etc table. They had a pretty good sale on the Armor website. I’m planning to put a shelf in to store my Tormek and Grinder on so they can be pulled out to sharpen as needed.

May ya still end up with a Festool table one day for the tracksaw but for now I’m going to give this one a try. Think I can keep a scrap of MDF or something handy to throw on top when I use the tracksaw. Just won’t have the miter feature of the Festool/Kreg tables.

DDD5BBC1-B638-4690-B0FE-D92AECACB3E6.jpg

15E2734C-038A-4AB2-8E44-38E308257E87.jpg
    That the 25"x54"? How much were you able to get it for? I was considering just getting their pre-made table top, but if I remember correctly the top was too thick to use the Festool Quick Ratcheting Clamps (LINK).

Looks like $316 for the 25"x54" with casters and free shipping (plus ~$25 sales tax in CA): LINK
    I cant tell if these table tops are all made of the same material though as some state "butcher block" and some say "hard maple butcher block".
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 08-21-2019 at 6:15 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yes, the 25x54. It was 437 shipped with the casters and clamp package. Two clamps are backordered but they shipped what was available. It has 3/4” dog holes and I’m not sure about the Festool clamps but I guess you could bore them out slightly to 20mm to use Festool products. It is thicker than the Festool tables as this measures 1.5” thick. It appears to be solid hard maple that is glued up like any other workbench. Only thing I can say that’s different is it has a rough spray or roll on clear coat on the top for protection but it’s left ruff for friction grip I think. https://armor-tool.com/product/54″-x...e-and-casters/

Its a nice table but I’m not loving the casters. The table base is very narrow and the casters have a slight amount of play when locked so it does have some movement when you push hard on the top. I’m contemplating removing the casters and bolting it to a PM3500 mobile base as I need to be able to move it easily. If you put the adjustable feet on instead of the casters it would solve the movement too but then it wouldn’t be mobile of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    That the 25"x54"? How much were you able to get it for? I was considering just getting their pre-made table top, but if I remember correctly the top was too thick to use the Festool Quick Ratcheting Clamps (LINK).

Looks like $316 for the 25"x54" with casters and free shipping (plus ~$25 sales tax in CA): LINK
    I cant tell if these table tops are all made of the same material though as some state "butcher block" and some say "hard maple butcher block".
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-22-2019 at 3:25 AM.

Yes, the 25x54. It was 437 shipped with the casters and clamp package. Two clamps are backordered but they shipped what was available. It has 3/4” dog holes and I’m not sure about the Festool clamps but I guess you could bore them out slightly to 20mm to use Festool products. It is thicker than the Festool tables as this measures 1.5” thick. It appears to be solid hard maple that is glued up like any other workbench. Only thing I can say that’s different is it has a rough spray or roll on clear coat on the top for protection but it’s left ruff for friction grip I think. https://armor-tool.com/product/54″-x...e-and-casters/

Its a nice table but I’m not loving the casters. The table base is very narrow and the casters have a slight amount of play when locked so it does have some movement when you push hard on the top. I’m contemplating removing the casters and bolting it to a PM3500 mobile base as I need to be able to move it easily.
    How stout/thick/stable is the steel frame? It looks like the standard Rockler/Peachtree type legs and rails just painted red, but they dont mention the thickness or gauge steel used on Armor's website.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Its very heavy. Don’t know thickness off hand but was shocked at how heavy the package was at around 110 lbs. don’t know how it compares to those other brands but it seems very stout to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    How stout/thick/stable is the steel frame? It looks like the standard Rockler/Peachtree type legs and rails just painted red, but they dont mention the thickness or gauge steel used on Armor's website.

As an update in case anyone else considers this table, I came up with a better solution than the original casters. The table is tippy feeling on the original casters. The foot print is too narrow the casters had a little movement in them and it made the table feel teeter tottery. I need it mobile so the included feet were not an option.

So, I decided to try a Portamate PM3500 mobile base with extension rail, with a piece of 3/4” plywood all through bolted together. It may look goofy but the end result is now it is rock solid and could probably serve as a planing bench if needed. The shelves are great for storage and the weight of my grinders in There helps make it more stable. Next up is an electrical outlet and extension cord on one end, and then mount spots for the armor clamps to hang on it.

Anyway, probably just humoring myself but figured I would share

F4927293-643A-4DA0-8F08-0BF868FE82A3.jpg

857355D1-429C-4EA7-B575-4C7C84C78EDA.jpg

Greg,

Just wondering why you lose the miter feature with this bench?

Are you saying the holes are not lined up accurately?

I must be having a senior moment, but it looks to me like all you need are some dogs.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, Both the Festool and Kreg tables come with a miter gauge assembly that attaches to the tracksaw track to cut accurate miters. This bench doesn’t have such since it isn’t specifically geared towards tracksaw. That’s all I meant.

I’m sure I will be able to improvise something for the tracksaw once I get to it but I haven’t really put much thought into it yet other than to just throw a piece of sacrificial wood on top when using it. Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Greg,

Just wondering why you lose the miter feature with this bench?

Are you saying the holes are not lined up accurately?

I must be having a senior moment, but it looks to me like all you need are some dogs.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-04-2019 at 4:51 AM.