Thread: Unknown wood ID

Unknown wood ID

Came out of services today to the sound of multiple Husky's just down the street. Against the better half's advice, I drove over to the work site. Asked the owner what kind of tree it was and he said poplar. Must confess I don't know poplar from doplar but was drawn to the almost walnut looking brown color of the heartwood. Asked for a couple pieces and he said yes and if I want any more just come back. Well I get home and start dicing up the log and put it on the lathe. Never seen poplar this color and wanted to see if anyone might want to take a stab at ID ing it. While machining it, I noticed some stickiness around a knot area and kind of thought it was some version of a pine tree but haven't ever seen this type of color in any pine. Never clogged the gouge and didn't throw sap all over the place at all so I question that assumption. Know it's guesswork by just looking at a few pics but guess away. Anyway, what ever it is, it's kind of purdy.

unk1.jpgunk2.jpgunk3.jpgunk4.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I'm guessing locust
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Yellow poplar, very common in the midAtlantic, has the typical greenish color to the heart wood, although it can be brown or even streaked with red and purple from minerals. It is not really a poplar. Called such, but isn't. (Same for Eastern Red Cedar- not really cedar,.) Poplar has a medium fine grain, without rings of coarse of wide open pores like Oak or locust. Mulberry has a nice rich yellowish. brown color, but also has rings with open pores, not quite as open as oak. I suppose it might actually be a real poplar. I don't believe I ever encountered any. By the way, Yellow Polar (also called Tulip Poplar) is very straight grained and usually knot free.

4. What you have there looks like Chinese elm.....the grain structure is too porous for poplar, .....honey locust hasa thicker more pronounced bark, but the grain is similar to your pics. I live in the mid atlantic, and there is a good bit of chinese elm in our area. I could be mistaken, but it looks like Chinese Elm I have turned, and have several pieces in my turning stash.

I also have a couple of bowls at the gallery from elm that look like yours in the pics.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for your input guys. Whatever it is, it won't see my bandsaw again. Not hard to cut at all but left a mess. No sap flying all over the place but a mushy gunk that stuck to the wheels and blade.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA