Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official I moved from woodworking hobbyist to tool addict

you are just getting a good start on routers or any other tools. When you have to build onto your shop to hold all of your stuff, that is when it starts to become serious. Also in my case my wife just doesnt understand the need for all of the stuff I have.

At last count I have 12. After the first few, just like rabbits they seem to multiply.

Charley

Brian, whatever you do, do not buy a hand plane or a backsaw. If you do, you'll truly be addicted.
    DAMHIKT.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Stop lying to yourself...you need it... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Welcome to the other side of the line.

I have eight. Carpentry and woodworking was my profession but retired now.

I was a tool addict too. It was great fun. Now I'm struggling with it and probably have to tell myself once a week- 'You don't need that, you're retired!'

I accepted the fact that rehab was for quitters decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I accepted the fact that rehab was for quitters decades ago.
    Nobody likes a quitter.

I like Prashun's thoughts on this, but I have probably over 100 bits, and nowhere near enough routers.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

8. I just bought a medium crown construction stapler to fix my chicken run, but only because I thought it would be more useful for other applications than the fencing stapler.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I just bought a medium crown construction stapler to fix my chicken run, but only because I thought it would be more useful for other applications than the fencing stapler.
    This is off topic, but do they make medium crown staples in lengths less than 1 1/2"? Maybe 1"? If so, where could I source them in the US?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you mean the 7/16" wide crown, there are many, and in lengths up to 2-1/2". I use two for installing Cypress shingles. One shoots 2-1/2", and the other 2" stainless staples. Mine are Senco, but I'm sure other nail gun manufacturers make them also. I also have one that shoots 1" crown staples up to 1-1/4".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If you mean the 7/16" wide crown, there are many, and in lengths up to 2-1/2". I use two for installing Cypress shingles. One shoots 2-1/2", and the other 2" stainless staples. Mine are Senco, but I'm sure other nail gun manufacturers make them also. I also have one that shoots 1" crown staples up to 1-1/4".
    Yes, I know they make long staples, up to 2" (or longer). I have not found 1" staples with a 7/16" crown. I have found 2" and 1 1/2" staples with a 7/16" crown.

Can you point me to 1" staples with 7/16" crown? Maybe I just don't know where to look.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

google medium crown stapler, or staples. Medium crown (7/16") staples come in 15 ga., 16 ga., and 17 ga. The only 15 gauge ones I know of are the 2-1/2"

This gun shoots 7/8" to 2". There are also guns that have shorter limits.

https://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/sns41

The staples come plain steel, electrocoated galvanized, and stainless steel. I avoid the electro coated ones these days, as they aren't as good as they used to be, and go straight to stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/Senco-N13BAB-.../dp/B000CP2M0Y

14. OK, regarding staples...

I just got my stapler in the mail. It is a hitachi https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-16-...tapler/3086579

I went to Lowes to get staples and they all come in boxes of 10000 (for about $50, depending on size). I need nowhere near this many, but looking online I cannot find them in smaller quantities. Does anyone know if I can get them in boxes of, say, 1000? Also, will other brands work in this tool?

A tool hobbyist could easily have 3 to 5 routers on hand for different tasks.

A tool addict is one who uses his $350 planer with spiral head as an excuse to spend $350 on a set of torque control drivers.

Not that I would know....