Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
Nice build, Ken. I appreciate the slab glue up. Haven’t done many, but do the same as you. Glue the straightest first, then add from there. To speed things up, I let the first two sit in clamps for about an hour, then add the next for an hour, then the next and so on. At least this way, I can add a board an hour and typically have it all in clamps in one day. When I take the clamps off for the next board, it gives me a chance to run a putty knife down the glue line to clean it up...at least the facing side. I let the bottom side glue dry and get after it with a cabinet or card scraper.

Is that some sort of highly collectible vintage chisel you’re using to clean the glue
Phil,

Your way sounds a lot more efficient than mine. I hate slab glue ups and will do my best to avoid but sometimes the wood just isn't available.

You noticed , That is a highly collectable Woodcraft special chisel. As I have posted before, I expect it is the cheapest and the most used chisel in my shop. I use it for everything but opening paint cans. If I ever see another one on display at the local Woodcraft I'll buy it because if anything happens to this one I'd be lost. BTW, after using it for awhile I bought some "good" crank neck chisels, I still reach for this one almost every time.

ken

ken