Thread: New Moravian Bench build Part 2

New Moravian Bench build Part 2

The old thread was getting a little long in tooth.

Friday night I screwed up one of the long stretcher tenons. After several rounds of "what if" and "yes but" I made the correct decision and went to the woodstore Saturday and picked up a nice hunk of 12/4 Poplar and started over.

Here are some photos of cutting the new tenons.

V'ing the knife line:

benchVKnifeLine.jpg

Sawing the shoulder:

benchSawShoulder.jpg

Finished tenon:

benchLongStretcherTenon2.jpg

Next up is fitting the tenons to the base units. Once that is done I'll clean up the base parts and glue 'em up. Then comes the fun part, glueing up the slab. I and my back keep hoping to find a 12/4 slab of something that is wide enough for the slab but so far no joy.

ken

I've finished fitting the long stretchers to the legs.

benchFittingLongStretchers.jpg

That's all for today, it is starting to get hot in the shop. Pool time with MsBubba, Sweet Maggie Dog and a ball. Then short nap followed by monkey suit on and then off to sit in a black box for a couple of hours. If it has cooled off once I'm back home I'll start prepping the base unit parts for glue up.

ken

I'm cleaning up the base legs and stretchers in prep for glue up. There are a couple of boo-boos, mostly cosmetic with no effect on the structure, that I decided to live with but other than that I'm happy with the progress but the real tell is how the base units come out of glue up.

benchCleaningShortStretchers.jpg

The legs are finished, four more short stretchers to go.

ken

With two days off over the weekend I only managed to get one base unit glued up. There was too much running the streets, honeydoes to be done, and entertaining MsBubba in the pool to get to the second unit.

The first base unit out of the clamps:

benchBaseUnit1.jpg

Second base unit awaiting glue up:

benchBaseUnitPreGlueUp.jpg

Saturday evening was our first Monsoon rain of the season. Most of the day MsBubba was complaining about Monsoon being a bust and we were not getting any rain. Wrong pool breath, the thunder soon ran us out of the pool followed very shortly by rain.

View out the back garden:

monsoonBackGarden.jpg

In 30 or so minutes it rained enough to fill the pool, turn the back gully into a raging river as it did the street in front, and flood my shop, which never happens.

shopFlood.jpg

We got a second Monsoon rain Sunday night, not as much but still pretty good.

ken