Thread: My Paring Chisel Resolution but Now a Question re: Japanese Paring Chisels

My Paring Chisel Resolution but Now a Question re: Japanese Paring Chisels

Whew ! Lo-o-o-o-g Title ......

A few weeks back I questioned what direction seemed most fun for me to jump to get a few paring chisels. Somebody who shall remain nameless ( but whose name rhymes with "Derek" sending his regards from Perth ) gave me the argument I needed to buy a few paring chisels from Blue Spruce. So I fired off a question to Dave Jeske regarding his chisels and before I got a response he had sold his company to Woodpeckers. It'll happen every time. :>) Now, don't get me wrong. I really like some Woodpecker products and have bought several useful tools from them. Nevertheless, "Blue Spruce by Woodpeckers" does not have the same ring to me as "Blue Spruce by Dave" so I abandoned ship on that idea. I did however order from Dave one of his fishtail chisels, 3/8" with African Blackwood round handle for trimming in corners. At lease this way I have something of his. It arrived yesterday and I will be trimming this afternoon. It's gorgeous and fits my hand perfectly.

All that is just lovely however I found myself right back where I was looking for paring chisels. Inasmuch as I got no love re: Nishiki paring chisels from TFWW I simply went ahead and ordered one (1 ! ) Nishiki paring chisel, 30mm. Just wanted to try one before getting excited.

Forgive me here for going on a little side trip. I bought this chisel based upon so many guys here who swear by Japanese edges. I have some Japanese mortise chisels from many years ago and I like them. But let's be real : There is zero excitement from me about mortising chisels. They are clunks. Cut great but they are what they are. I don't get excited about kale either. But "paring chisels" has zing, yes? They sound like dancing partners. Anyway that 30mm paring chisel showed up and I smiled. Great balance. Very sharp. Ground at 40 degrees. So, I hollow ground it down to 30 degrees on my 10" Tormek and proved to myself the back was flat by redoing that and then flat ground the face to 30 degrees on my diamond stones. That's where I sit now. But I have slipped into the tall weeds, so back to my side trip. The chisel showed up gorgeous as she is with a shiny silver sticker with red, black, and mebbe white Japanese characters printed on it. The blade is struck with some cool characters as well. But I cannot read Japanese so for all I know the sticker has insulting remarks addressed to me yet I am too ignorant to read them. Totally against my personality I bought something about which I know nothing. TFWW sells good stuff. They have sold me British chisels as well and they're great but you get the idea. I don't know if these are white steel, blue steel, orange steel...... I have no clue. I DO know the edge is VERY hard and forms a great edge but that's it. I have trusted folks in Brooklyn even though the Dodgers left. So please understand, I am balanced on a small island here. All I have for security is a silver sticker with stuff on it and some other stuff stamped into the metal none of which I can read.

Now back to my question. Based upon the amazing edge that slices whisper thin shavings, I am going to go ahead and order the 9mm chisel from the same set again getting another silver sticker I cannot read. I really enjoy the reach of this one I've got. My question is this: Should I put a secondary bevel about 35 degrees to protect my new edges ? Yes. They will be used only for paring. No they will not be pried. Still, I have a slight bead of sweat over my eyebrows fretting over chipping these expensive edges with silver stickers attached or not.

Sharp is sharp whether at 30 or 35 degrees. But mebbe discretion suggests a thin secondary. What say you ? Then, when there is enough disagreement, I shall select a plan of action least likely to make me upset. Is this a great website, or what !

Brian, my slicks have flat bevels (not hollow ground) and honed at 25 degrees. No secondary bevels.

Regards from Perth

Derek (!)

Thanks, Derek. I now have the chisel as it came except that it is flat ground at 30 degrees instead of 40 degrees. I will copy your slicks with no secondary. So now I can go ahead and polish that primary and I will be good to go. At this point I am leaning toward getting the 9mm mate. Does that seem reasonable to you? I love this edge..............

Brian, So (from whom I ordered the Kyohisa slicks I have) was puzzled when I did not get a 1/8” and instead ordered from 1/4” upward (and then stopped at 1 1/2” or 1 3/4”, I cannot recall right now). I explained that the 1/8” was a size I rarely pared, and when I worked that small, it was more controllable with a bench chisel and gennou. I actually felt the same way about the 1/4”, but ordered it anyway.

It is a personal thing, that is, the sizes and types of chisels we like to use in different situations. I really prefer slicks for about 1/2” upward. Even 1/2” is borderline. My favourite size is a 3/4” and then the 1”. My 3/8, 5/8 etc get less use than these.

For this reason I cannot say to you what size to get. What tasks do you plan to use them on (where a struck bench chisel might not be a better alternative)?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Personally I think (as Derek said) that it depends on the type of work you normally do and/or forsee using them on. I know I have the 'collector gene' and have to get complete sets, even if I mainly use 3 out of 12 (for example) . . . but the others are there if I ever need them. What I will say is that it's a lot easier to make a smaller paring chisel cover a larger area than it is to have one that's even 1mm too large for the area work.