Thread: Pine paneling finish

Pine paneling finish

After some online searches I am thinking of using Bona Finish Mega HD Clear satin on tongue and groove pine paneling that I will soon be applying to a small indoor porch at my cottage. I plan on applying it to the back before installation and then the front after installation. Any thought on this product or it's appication? Have never used it, but seems to have good reviews.
    P.S. if you think a different water based finish is of better quality, I would like to know that too.

Thanks, ron
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 07-07-2019 at 9:37 AM.

I have only ever used it once, as the first coat on finishing a floor, because we knew it would need to be final finished later, and it can be sanded and recoated any time in the future. Just be careful not to build it up too thick, or it will look like a thick coat of plastic on the surface. We flooded it on like applying a normal floor finish, so I have no experience with it any other kind of way.

There are plenty of other things that I would use before that for your use, but it would depend on how you're going to apply it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have only ever used it once, as the first coat on finishing a floor, because we knew it would need to be final finished later, and it can be sanded and recoated any time in the future. Just be careful not to build it up too thick, or it will look like a thick coat of plastic on the surface. We flooded it on like applying a normal floor finish, so I have no experience with it any other kind of way.

There are plenty of other things that I would use before that for your use, but it would depend on how you're going to apply it.
    I am thinking roll back and clean up with a brush, and finish the front later once it is up with a brush. What ideas for other products do you have. I was thinking of water based poly to minimize yellowing.

Ron, I know you said water based, but our cabin and three season porch is completely paneled with knotty pine T&G. It was finished with shellac. It’s about 70 years old and still looks great.

Ideally raise grain w water, let dry , and sand before applying water base topcoat.

Also, plan on scuff sanding... once after first coat anyway.

IF you are staining, stain tongue before install to avoid seasonal white wood showing.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-13-2019 at 9:46 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Thanks everybody. I am almost at the point where I need to prefinish the back at least and appreciate your advice!