Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Built Power Feeder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop Built Power Feeder

I had been following with great interest a SMC thread by Al Ladd showing his shop built small wooden power feeder that he was developing. He had included several links to Youtube videos showing the feeder in operation. This thread seems to have disappeared. Has it been moved to another heading, or was it removed for some reason? I did not interpret his thread to be offering anything for sale, but only asking for comments to see if this was something that some of us might have interest in using. So I am just wondering what happened to it - as I thought that it was an interesting idea.
    Thanks,
    David

I'm still waiting for a response. I had hoped that maybe one of the moderators would step up and let us know what happened to this thread. A PM will be fine if you don't want to make it public.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I'm still waiting for a response. I had hoped that maybe one of the moderators would step up and let us know what happened to this thread. A PM will be fine if you don't want to make it public.
    David
    I built a power feeder a couple months ago. Works like a charm. Can’t seem to figure out how to post pictures

I saw yours Dan. It was one of several inspirations for me.

Here's the thread with a photo of yours: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post2853017

Looks like you used a gear reduction box, --and hockey pucks?

My guess is that someone felt that thread was becoming a commercial for a product and deleted the thread.

Be interest to hear the the actual reason it disappeared...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    My guess is that someone felt that thread was becoming a commercial for a product and deleted the thread.

So would I!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post

Hi Bill,
    I would guess that it got pulled because he is not a "Friend of the Creek". So apparently if someone has the "Friend of the Creek" status (cost is $50 per year) then this type of post content would be "overlooked" by the moderators. There is a guy who posts a lot under the cnc machine heading who very blatantly solicits business right in his posts, and lists his contact information for sales right in his posts. I don't think that Al was trying to sell anything or solicit business, particularly since he does not have a finished product to sell. My advise to Al would be that if he does eventually get his power feeder to market, spent the $50 to become a "Friend of the Creek" and take advantage of the benefits and perks of that status.
    David

The rule is: Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using Saw Mill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal.

I don't think my post was for the "sole purpose" of promoting my still-in-development product. Apparently the removal of my post is still under consideration by the moderators. Perhaps they were bothered when I commented about the comparative qualities of the Co-matic feeder (which a sponsor sells) and my prototype. Ironically, I also posted that that sponsor has theirs on sale this summer. Weird I'd be censored for "promoting my product" (I don't have one yet!) when I let people know the "competitor's" is on sale....

I'm awaiting response from moderators about the details of how I can post within the rules.

I freely admit I have plans to sell power feeder kits. But my intent with SMC at this juncture is to solicit feedback about how the feeder could be improved, and whether people found it interesting.

I'm a full time woodworker who's ventured off into waters unchartered by me, developing and marketing a woodworking tool. I'd like to think this forum could support that sort of endeavor, at least its preliminary stages, and I'm happy to carefully tailor my use of the Forum to comply with its rules.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about this forum, but it's pretty common for a post by a new member containing a youtube link to get pulled. Something about not having people use a forum just to drive traffic to their youtube channel.

That's certainly a reasonable policy, to have a waiting period before new members can post links to their own videos. But that's not SMC's policy.

But besides that, I've been a SMC member and occasional contributor since 2005 (professional woodworker since 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by al ladd View Post
    The rule is: Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using Saw Mill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal.

I'm awaiting response from moderators about the details of how I can post within the rules.
    Good luck with that Al!! I would be incredibly surprised of any of them actually responded to you.
    David

Blog Entries
    I’d like to see the thread re-opened. Honestly, never saw it prior to being shut down, but sounds interesting. Hopefully the mods will determine it is within the rules.

I agree that without rules rules this forum could turn to garbage. So, no disrespect intended. Thanks

Hi Zac,
    I agree with you 100 percent. But I am afraid that most of the moderators have their best interest at heart and don't want to "make waves". As I said, I would be very surprised if any of these guys have the courage to address this issue. They probably just wish it would "die a natural death" and go away. And meanwhile, they let some of the other "preferred" members violate the rules with no repercussions.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dan petroski View Post
    I built a power feeder a couple months ago. Works like a charm. Can’t seem to figure out how to post pictures
    Hi Dan,
    Here is the photo of your power feeder.
    David

Dan's Power Feeder.jpg

Boy I am logged in and it says I don’t have access to this page when I try to open the pic. I have a lot of trouble with this site and I know most of it is my computer ineptitude..used to be able to post pics and can’t figure it out any more..just built a blade jointer for the sawminn but it could be adapted to a vertical bandsaw easily.
    just had a hip replaced so I’ve got time fo play on this computer 😄 Dan